Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® Z10

Visitor
My Device: Z10
My Carrier: T-mobile Germany

Z10 Making Ticking Sound When Screen Turned Off

[ Edited ]

My Z10 has been completely fine since I got it on Friday, now (Monday) it just started making ticking sounds.

The ticking is especially audible when the screen is turned off (standby mode) but it is still there, although less loud, when the screen is turned on. It is ticking kind of irregularly and loud enough to hear it from a distance. Its also giving another sound (while ticking) that I can not describe. It sounds a bit like something that has to do with a network frequency.

I did turn on flight mode and the issue persists. I also restarted the device and did a restart by pulling the battery. Both did not help.

If I take off the back cover the sound becomes louder (or more audible) and it sounds like it came from the battery area. It does not come from the NFC on the backplate.

What to do? The sound can be heard from half a meter away. It just started doing this while lying on my desk, with no action of mine withing the last 30 minutes or so. Its at about 50% battery charge. It is highly annoying.

UPDATE: I did take out both sim and microsd card and did a "restore device" via blackberry link. Didnt help anything, though, still ticking loud enough to be heard from half a meter.

Also, on a side note, did I just not see it or is there actually no option to contact BB support via an email? That would be really strange...

New Contributor
My Device: Z10
My Carrier: E-Plus Germany

Re: Z10 Making Ticking Sound When Screen Turned Off

Hello there,

just got my new Z10 for like two weeks from Telekom Germany.

I'm experiencing the same ticking sounds. When the screen is locked or I lay down the Z10 on the bbry leather case with energy saving function, after a couple of seconds it starts to make those ticking sounds like from an HDD drive when the head is moving.

off topic: experiencing random reboots as well...

My Device: Blackberry z10
My Carrier: Quick mobile

Re: Z10 Making Ticking Sound When Screen Turned Off

I got the same problem too,is there anyone from Blackberry who can give us an answer for this problem?