Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® Z10

Contributor
My Device: playbook
My Carrier: bel

Z10 Text Message Lockup/freezing

Not sure where else to go to ask this. Bell is less then helpful in support. This has happened on two BB z10s and it happens often some times many times a day. I send texts mostly to a "friend" and every now and then it locks up completely The history is blank as if it is loading; user picture is blank as well. I can type but send button does not send anything. If I open an different users text message window in the hub it goes back to the locked persons window. Reboot does not fix it. If I try to send a picture to a SMS it will go to the stage where I can write a users name in send tab and then switches to the locked screen again of my friend. I can not delete the message history of any contact in the hub as keeps going back to that frozen page. Only solution I have found is to send an email. Some reason this most of the time reloads?? the text messages in the hub and the phone starts working again normally. Again happens on two phones same issue, pulling battery and reset does not resolve it. I tried sending screen shots to RIM feedback but not hearing anything. All other functions of the phone still work while this happens except for anything related to text messaging, Any feed back would be helpful.
Forums Advisor III
My Device: Passport & PlayBook
My Carrier: Bell

Re: Z10 Text Message Lockup/freezing

Good day

I'm on Bell network has well, I have no issues with my Z10 what OS are you running? If you don't mind me asking.
My Device: Z10 10.2.1.3247
My Carrier: T-Mo USA

[ Edited ]

It's possible this may be caused by an app.  Can only go from my experience, but was suddenly -- and only occasionally -- having this issue.  So I went through and removed a few apps I wasn't really using and seems I have solved this on my phone (T-Mo USA).  My next step would have been to clear out my texts.  Are there some apps your phones have in common?

Contributor

OS 10.1.0.4181 which my phone tells me is the latest. I consider myself a rather heavy user in that send a couple hundred messages over a given day. Not sure if that has anything to do with it and don't see an option to clear history regularly or out old messages like the previous OSs I don't even have any apps installed other then skype. All other have been deleted.
Forums Advisor II
My Device: Z10 10.2.1.3247
My Carrier: T-Mo USA

I have seen one other post with a slightly different text/freezing issue, but on that same OS (which some people claim is buggy).  Have you tried resetting the Hub itself? 

Forums Advisor III

scrannel wrote:

I have seen one other post with a slightly different text/freezing issue, but on that same OS (which some people claim is buggy).  Have you tried resetting the Hub itself? 

I'm on OS and I have no problems at all. We are on the same network. 

I am unsure how to reset the hub. I assume resetting the device is not the same as just the hub. Could you provide some instructions? I seem to have a nack for finding bugs. Found a never ending loop with an email account sending constant data out from my device after the battery drained in less then an hour, device heated up very hot, and used over 1 gb of data in a week. Again Bell was totally useless and took about 20 calls for me to figure out the problem. They refused to tell me which email account was sending and never filled a ticket with Blackberry because of privacy issues. Go figure my own stuff is private to me according to Bell. Rebuilding my phone seemed to stop the issue for a month until it crept up again but this was about 2 OS updates ago. Lets hope it's fixed.
Forums Advisor III

[ Edited ]

Reset the BlackBerry10 Hub by swiping from the top right bezel to the center of the screen, five times in a row. This will often reset any ghost notifications, your email or social media notifications. You'll see a quick black screen then "Preparing BlackBerry Hub".

Any more Tips you need when it comes to your Z10 

Z10 Tips, Tricks and Shortcuts

My Device: z10
My Carrier: koodo

Hey I'm having the exact same symptoms as you and have been for a while. When I went into Koodo originally the told me to reload the factory settings which worked for about a month and then has started to happen again. I have tried to restart the phone and tried restarting the blackberry hub like suggested with no avail.
Sending a email does not reset the text messages and I have been locked out of them since 10:00 last night.
Does anyone know of anything else to try?

Matt
New Contributor
My Device: Storm and Playbook 64 GB
My Carrier: Telus

I went for the latest OS update that showed as available last Friday. Since then, when texting I get the lockups as described below. I get the blank history with a lot of lag, sometimes it will eventually pop in but most often just locks completely. I try to go back to the hub and pick a different person and the same locked person appears and still locked. In some instances, the whole message screen will distort and stay that way while locked up. I have had success unlocking it by a mere reboot but after having to do that at least three times in a row within a total span of about 15 minutes, including the boot time and reinitializing the hub, I was ready to throw the unit against a wall, I think a fix is in order asap. As for the swiping from the top right bezel to the middle of the screen, accomplished absolutely nothing and drlrting the history, I don't have much of a history on it and if I had no issue previous to the upgrade, why would I have to do it now? Any fix would be most welcome.