Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® Z10

Solutions: 6,331
My Device: Passport • Z30 • Z10 • Torch9850 • Playbook
My Carrier: Verizon

Re: Z10 Tips, Tricks and Shortcuts

OMGitsOmie, if you have tips for shortcuts, please post them in this thread.

If you feel the need to debate Z10 vs. iPhone/Android, kindly create your own thread in the Social Lounge

Thank you.

>> NEW! 10% discount on BlackBerry devices from ShopBlackBerry.com, including PRIV

1. If any post helps you please click the Like Button below the post(s) that helped you.
2. Please resolve your thread by marking the post "Solution?" which solved it for you!
3. Install free BlackBerry Protect today for backups of contacts and data.
4. Guide to Unlocking your BlackBerry & Unlock Codes
Join our BBM Channels (Beta)
BlackBerry Support Forums Channel
PIN: C0001B7B4   Display/Scan Bar Code
Knowledge Base Updates
PIN: C0005A9AA   Display/Scan Bar Code

VENOM7000 wrote:

Is there a way to disable volume buttons after locking the phone?

No that I am aware of.

>> NEW! 10% discount on BlackBerry devices from ShopBlackBerry.com, including PRIV

1. If any post helps you please click the Like Button below the post(s) that helped you.
2. Please resolve your thread by marking the post "Solution?" which solved it for you!
Knowledge Base Updates
New Contributor
My Device: Z10

I'm not debating anything. If you follow the original trail you'll see that, but thanks for your input.
Contributor
My Device: Z10 Black
My Carrier: Vodafone UK

Does it only affect apps or the maximum volume of the device in general? 
(for example if I set it to half..Regales if I have set the ringtone volume to Max... It will only play half the power due to the master volume being set to half?)

New Contributor
My Carrier: telus

how about getting all my contacts from my Bold to the new Z10....any tips, shortcuts or Plan B options here?

Trusted Contributor
My Carrier: Bell Mobility

petertherunner wrote:

how about getting all my contacts from my Bold to the new Z10....any tips, shortcuts or Plan B options here?

My suggestion would be to do a device switch using the media card. Go to Setup on the Bold and then go to Device Switch. It will make a full backup of the old device on the media card. Then put the media card in the Z10 and go to the Setup App and click on Device Switch to transfer the old data to the new phone. If there's a few stragglers that didn't make the trip that way, you can pair the two devices and transfer them via Bluetooth.  Hope that's helpful for ya..

OMGitsOmie wrote:
I'm not debating anything. If you follow the original trail you'll see that, but thanks for your input.

Please, without arguing about it, just create your own thread for the Z10/Apple/Android discussion.

Knowledge Base Updates

i found a workaround for using some of your former Auto Text or Word Substitution entries formerly on your old BlackBerry.

This is not ideal;, but works and especially so for longer entries that would be cumbersome to retype...

• On my 9850 I had the app Advanced OS and LED installed, which will backup your AutoText from your legacy device to your media card. Perform that first on your old BlackBerry.
  • Then, either email yourself that file (if your old device is still in service) or remove the media and place it in your Z10.
  • I used the default File Manager app on my Z10 to open that simple text file.
  • From there, I simply copy and pasted the lengthy entries from the text file to my Z10 Word Substitution app.
  • Admittedly, there is no "import" of all the entries, but on the long entries it is a good way to do it.
  • For all the others, it served as a good listing to create and enter all my others manually.

So, there you go, for what it's worth.

Knowledge Base Updates
Contributor
My Carrier: Rogers

JSanders wrote:

i found a workaround for using some of your former Auto Text or Word Substitution entries formerly on your old BlackBerry.

This is not ideal;, but works and especially so for longer entries that would be cumbersome to retype...

• On my 9850 I had the app Advanced OS and LED installed, which will backup your AutoText from your legacy device to your media card. Perform that first on your old BlackBerry.
  • Then, either email yourself that file (if your old device is still in service) or remove the media and place it in your Z10.
  • I used the default File Manager app on my Z10 to open that simple text file.
  • From there, I simply copy and pasted the lengthy entries from the text file to my Z10 Word Substitution app.
  • Admittedly, there is no "import" of all the entries, but on the long entries it is a good way to do it.
  • For all the others, it served as a good listing to create and enter all my others manually.

So, there you go, for what it's worth.

Cool, thank you for all your work on this. Does this method perserve formatting? Paragraphs and line breaks? 

I've already wiped my 9900 but if it does keep the formatting I will gladly take the time to set it back up.  

Thanks again! 

Guru I
My Device: Passport, Playbook, 9320BES
My Carrier: Bouygues _ SFR

Battery77 wrote:

Cool, thank you for all your work on this. Does this method perserve formatting? Paragraphs and line breaks? 

Currently, Word substitution on the Z10 does not support carriage returns. Alas.

The search box on top-right of this page is your true friend, and the public Knowledge Base too: