Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® Z10

Forums Advisor III
My Device: Z10
My Carrier: Rogers

Re: Z10 automatically deleting emails

shawnstill wrote:

I'm having a similar issue with email deleting off my Z10, I understand what's happening, but can't find settings to resolve it.

I have multiple email accounts, all of which i check using outlook on my desktop, but i also like to get copies to my phone. The issue is that if outlook checks first and retrieves an email, it deletes it off the server and my phone never gets a copy. If i set outlook to leave a copy on the server, both outlook and my Z10 receive copies (that's good!), except my storage on the server now starts to grow. I've tried setting outlook to leave a copy on the server for 2 days, plenty long enough for copies to get to both outlook and my z10, but as soon as that time lapses, the email is removed from the server and is deleted off my z10. Bottom line, i don't want my phone "syncing" with the server, i just want it to retrieve email and keep it on the phone regardless of what happens in either outlook or on the server, which is how my torch worked previously and i never had an issue.

ferazz and shawnstill,

You both seem to be having a slightly different issue, which is similar to the 'marked as read' issue in this thread.  You need to change your settings in outlook so that you don't delete the messages until after the 30 day window has lapsed. Currently the z10 does reflect the server, and once you get setup to deal with that you will enjoy great reconcilliation across all clients. As to whether or not the POP implementation will ever change.. only time will tell.

-: DrewRead :-
Can't find an app on Blackberry World yet? Tweet the developer and ask when they will #GetWithBB10 !!
"Like it" if you like it. Smiley Happy
New Contributor
My Device: Blackberry Z10
My Carrier: Etisalat

Hi Drewread,

Thank you very much for your reply, excellent information.

Just one question, this BES 10 single user license will work with our existing BES Express or we should configure another server of BES 10.

Thank you.

Forums Advisor III

You need to run a BES10 server, the old version of BES does not work with bb10 devices.
Can't find an app on Blackberry World yet? Tweet the developer and ask when they will #GetWithBB10 !!
New Contributor
My Device: Z10 STL100-3
My Carrier: AT&T

I just got the Z10 about 2 weeks ago and am having this same problem. I want the messages I want on the the phone even if they are removed from the server when downloaded to Outlook.  I just watched 18 messages disappear even those which I had not yet read.  This is a real problem for me.  I am a personal user (as opposed to having my device as a part of a corporate account), and I have tried changing the settings to update my mail manually.  The mail deleted when I selected "Refresh".  Is there any solution to this problem being worked on as it seems several people are having this issue with this device.

New Contributor

Same problem here man!! Please tell me If you find a fiX
Highlighted
New Contributor

drewread I am not sure that I fully understand what you are trying to say here. I have tried many different settings and even though my mail remains on my Outlook 2010 (on my PC) it deletes off my phone if I don't file it on the phone or if I don't reply immediately from my phone, it automatically deletes. This is a huge deal breaker for me as I love this phone, my Lumia 920 Windows 8 phone does not have this issue at all. What can I be doing wrong??? the IT at my work told me that the option for "leave a copy of mail on the server is already engaged" and I have tried a full wipe of the phone and tried deleting and re-adding the account without avail. Funny my Hotmail does not have one issue with my phone. However this is my work email and very important for me. Any idea?
New Contributor
My Device: Z10 STL100-3
My Carrier: AT&T

In reply to Drew, I have changed the settings on my Outlook to leave messages on the server until I delete them from there, yet still the phone is deleting messages.  Is there any possibility that BlackBerry will be making any changes to allow mail to be received on both platforms as many of the contributors to this forum seem to want to see happen?  My e-mail accounts are SMTP/POP mail.

Forums Advisor III

@bassetacre & @ferazzz,

The z10 is simply reflecting what is on your email server, so the messages have to be getting pulled (deleted) from your server by one of your other email clients.

Are you using POP, IMAP or MS ActiveSync?

What other email clients are you using (Outlook, Webmail access, iPad or PlayBook?)

Once the messages are deleted from the server, they will reflect as deleted on the Z10 as well, there is not way to change this at this time. I don't know if BlackBerry plans to change this implementation for POP access. If they were to change it at all, only POP access should allow it, as both IMAP and MS ActiveSync are supposed to reflect what is on your email server.

Like I mentioned in the thread that I linked to above, the total reconcilliation across all clients that is now offered by the BB10 is a far better solution than the old POP/BIS way, it just takes a different workflow and you need to get used to it. Personally I enjoy not having to mark hundreds of emails a day as 'read' or delete them for a second (or third) time on my other various email clients.

Has anyone contacted BB support with this? I just had this happened to a Z10 user at my work. We are using Exchange 2003. Exactly 30 days worth of e-mail (inbox and sent items) were deleted. They could not be found in the deleted items.
Forums Advisor III

The user must have deleted then from the Z10, which would delete them from the server. The z10 performs hard delete a right now, as it was designed that way. Maybe this will change in 10.1.xxx, only time will tell..