Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® Z10

New Contributor
My Device: z10
My Carrier: O2

Z10 dead: red light blinks

My Z10 is dead. I was checking messages while the screen has become black and then the red lights has start blinking. It blinks 1-4. I've tried a battery pull, but it's dead. Sometimes, randomly, appears 'blackberry' on the screen, but the phone stucks on it. The pc doesn't recognize the Z10. Thank you for your help.

My Device: blackberry z10
My Carrier: koodo

Re: Z10 dead: red light blinks

My phone is doing the same thing.

Forums Advisor II
My Device: Z10 10.2.1.3247
My Carrier: T-Mo USA

Have you tried plugging it in w/o the battery to see if that helps?
My Device: blackberry z10
My Carrier: koodo

Ya didnt help

Trusted Contributor
My Device: Torch 9810, Z10
My Carrier: ATT

The blinking is actually in binary

101111 Flash Write Failure - Try replacing the Flash or pulling it. (SD Card)

New Contributor
My Device: z10
My Carrier: O2

It seems that ther's no fix for this problem. I have to send the phone to service. Very awesome. Might be my last Blackberry.

Trusted Contributor
My Device: Torch 9810, Z10
My Carrier: ATT

Sorry to hear that.

What exactly did Blackberry say was the issue?  Hopefully they are replacing it for free as it could not have been all that old.

New Contributor
My Device: Z10
My Carrier: T-mobile

just woke up from a nap, had the phone charging and it doing the same thing
New Contributor
My Device: BB Z10 ; Playbook
My Carrier: T-Mobile

[ Edited ]

I used these steps from Geek Squad and it worked for me.

Restore BB10

When a BlackBerry 10 device is only flashing the red light and refusing to boot up, this indicates that the device’s operating system has become corrupted. The flashing light may follow the pattern of 1, 2 or 3 short blips, with a longer pause between the sets.

In order to fix this, you need to re-install the operating system on the device, which will then set the device back to its original factory state.

Please note: this process will completely wipe your device, so please make sure you have a backup of your personal information available to restore before going through this process. 

1. Download and install the latest version of BlackBerry Link for your computer.
  2. Open BlackBerry Link software.
  3. Plug in the BlackBerry device using your USB cable.
  4. At the bottom left of the program, find the device you're having issues with and select it by clicking on it.BB Reload - 1
  5. The BlackBerry Link application will then ask to either reconnect or reload the device software. Choose Reload.BB Reload - 2
  6. Confirm the reload when prompted to do so, which will wipe clean any data previously on the handset.BB Reload - 3
  7. Allow the reload to complete, which can take some time. Whilst this is underway, the device will have a solid green light. This process of downloading and reinstalling the device can take an hour or more, depending on the speed of your internet connection, soplease don't disconnect the BlackBerry until the process has finished.BB Reload - 6
  8. Once the restore is complete, simply set up your device again, or restore it from a previous backup stored on your machine. However, if you want to restore a previous backup, remember to sign in to your BlackBerry ID on the device first! If you're not sure how to do this, we have a full guide available.

The good news is, this process is almost identical on both PC and Apple Mac. Simply follow the same process as above. Finally, if you have any questions, please don't hesitate to get in touch with us.

My Device: BBZ10
My Carrier: Globe

I tried the step by step procedure however the software won't update.  Th screen shows

"Software update encountered an error".  A connection to the device could not be established.

However, the BB Link screen shows that BBZ10 is connected.  

Is there still hope? Smiley Happy

Thanks!