Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® Z10

New Contributor
My Device: Z10
My Carrier: PCCQ

Z10 not recognised on BB Protect

My Z10 is not recognised on BB Protect. 

It says "To add a device to this account, load the BlackBerry Protect Application onto your device from the BlackBerry AppWorld" bu the app is not available for the Z10.

I called my provider's (PCCW in Hong Kong) Blackberry helpline and they do not know what Blackberry Protect is. They suggested I update my details on their BIS site but the Z10 does not use BIS.

Please help me solve this. 

Hall of Famer III
My Device: PRIV (6.0.1/AAG111), Z10/Z30/Q10 (10.3.2.2813), Playbook (2.1.0.1526)
My Carrier: TMobile USA

Re: Z10 not recognised on BB Protect

Hi and Welcome to the Community!

Via a PC/browser, please go here:

Make sure that you are not, on that PC/browser, logged into your BB ID/AppWorld account. That link is the AppWorld catalog page for BB Protect -- please carefully review these three categories:

• Supported Carriers
  • Supported Countries
  • Supported Devices

If you do not find a match for yours on each of those three lists, then you are not eligible for BB Protect.

Also:

bbhelp88 wrote:

They suggested I update my details on their BIS site but the Z10 does not use BIS.

Did you perhaps have a previous non-BB10 BB on this carrier with this same account with them? If so, then it may be that they (the carrier) need to remove your BIS account from their system...there are reports that, on some carriers, having a BIS account in place actually impedes many services.

Good luck!

Occam's Razor nearly always applies when troubleshooting technology issues!

New to the Community? Click here and also here for helpful guidance. Also please click here for additional helpful information to guide you as you proceed. I always recommend that you treat your BlackBerry like any other computing device, including using a regular backup schedule...click here for an article with instructions. If anyone has been helpful to you, please show your appreciation by clicking the button. Need a reference to BB10 OS/SR versions? Click here. Need a specific BB10 AutoLoader? Send me a private message.

...................................................... ......................................................
New Contributor

Thanks sdgardbe for your help.

I have checked the three categories:

Supported Carriers: Says all carriers

Supported Countries: Hong Kong SAR is supported

Supported Devices: Doesn't say Z10 but it is built into the Z10 and advertised on the website so must be supported

This ticks all three boxes.

I did not have a non-BB10 with this carrier. It is my first blackberry with this carrier and in this country. I did not have a BIS account before yesterday but my carrier set one up for me yesterday to help try to solve the issue. So I now have a BIS account even though I told the carrier that the Z10 does not use BIS. Their response was that all consumer blackberry devices have a BIS account.

Only other thing was that my blackberry ID was used in the UK pre 2010 on a Vodafone blackberry. Could the ID still be linked to the BIS there?

Contributor
My Carrier: Etisalat

BB10 is not even in the list ,and blackberry protect is not active on bb10 ,no wonder why the application is already in the setting while it doesnt work ,can someone give a clear answer on this or at least how to activate it or just simply tell us it is not available yet .

thank you 

New Contributor

See below from BB website. http://us.blackberry.com/devices/features/security/protect.html

"In BlackBerry® 10, BlackBerry Protect is a feature built into the OS. For smartphones running on BlackBerry® 7 OS, BlackBerry® 6 OS and earlier versions of BlackBerry® Device Software, BlackBerry Protect is a free application you can download on your smartphone."

Contributor

BB10 is never recognaized on the blackberry protect website ,so basicly you do not have the same functions as we had on the previous devices .

Contributor

BB10 is never recognaized on the blackberry protect website ,so basicly you do not have the same functions as we had on the previous devices .

can you confirm this please or if there is a possibility to activate or for bb10 to be recognazied on the site tell me how please ,thank you 

New Contributor

BB Protect is built into the OS. That is why the App doesn't say it supports it. As it is built in, there is no need to download the app.

It is meant to locate, wipe, etc a lost device. But is will not backup wirelessly as in old devices.

However, my device does not show up on the BB protect website even though my phone says that BB protect is active. Others have this working - including a person who wrote it up on Crackberry.

Please help if you know of a solution.

Hall of Famer III
My Device: PRIV (6.0.1/AAG111), Z10/Z30/Q10 (10.3.2.2813), Playbook (2.1.0.1526)

bbhelp88 wrote:

I did not have a non-BB10 with this carrier. It is my first blackberry with this carrier and in this country. I did not have a BIS account before yesterday but my carrier set one up for me yesterday to help try to solve the issue. So I now have a BIS account even though I told the carrier that the Z10 does not use BIS. Their response was that all consumer blackberry devices have a BIS account.

They are not correct. They clearly have not yet received any training as to how different BB10 is from legacy.

New to the Community? Click here and also here for helpful guidance. Also please click here for additional helpful information to guide you as you proceed. I always recommend that you treat your BlackBerry like any other computing device, including using a regular backup schedule...click here for an article with instructions. If anyone has been helpful to you, please show your appreciation by clicking the button. Need a reference to BB10 OS/SR versions? Click here. Need a specific BB10 AutoLoader? Send me a private message.

...................................................... ......................................................
Hall of Famer III

bbhelp88 wrote:

It is meant to locate, wipe, etc a lost device. But is will not backup wirelessly as in old devices.

That is correct. Presently, BB Protect for BB10 has very limited functionality.

bbhelp88 wrote:

However, my device does not show up on the BB protect website even though my phone says that BB protect is active. Others have this working - including a person who wrote it up on Crackberry.

Please help if you know of a solution.

So, you see via the device interface to BB Protect that it is active? Yet when you log into the exact same BB ID that is registered to your Z10, you do not see the device in the Protect website? That is very odd indeed.

As you subsequently discovered, there is no download to conduct from AppWorld...but if I now understand you correctly, you do have the app on your Z10. It is just that you see a difference via the on-device interface versus the website interface to Protect. Odd...

I'd recommend you ring up you mobile service provider for formal support and potentially escalation up to BlackBerry.