Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® Z10

New Contributor
My Device: BlackBerry Z10
My Carrier: Safaricom

Z10 to connecting to Safaricom (Kenya) network

I have a BlackBerry Z10 purchased from Dubai but on putting a Safaricom SIM card, it does not connect to the network even though under Settings it shows the SIM card has been detected.

I tried an Airtel (Kenya) SIM card and it works fine.

Any idea what could be the problem?

Any assistance is highly appreciated.

Regards.

Abu Muhammad

Hall of Famer III
My Device: DTEK50 (AAI82), PRIV (AAI795), Z10/Z30/Q10 (10.3.2.2813), Playbook (2.1.0.1917)
My Carrier: TMobile USA

Re: Z10 to connecting to Safaricom (Kenya) network

Hi and Welcome to the Community!

Is your Z10 unlocked for use on any network? Check here:

• Swipe down from top of homescreen > Settings > Security and Privacy > SIM Card

At the bottom of that screen should be three sections, and each should say "Unlocked"...if not, your BB may be locked to your single carrier, and you would need to investigate your unlocking options.

Good luck!

Occam's Razor nearly always applies when troubleshooting technology issues!

New to the Community? Click here and also here for helpful guidance. Also please click here for additional helpful information to guide you as you proceed. I always recommend that you treat your BlackBerry like any other computing device, including using a regular backup schedule...click here for an article with instructions. If anyone has been helpful to you, please show your appreciation by clicking the button. Need a reference to BB10 OS/SR versions? Click here. Need a specific BB10 AutoLoader? Send me a private message.

...................................................... ......................................................
New Contributor

I checked all 3 sections and they all show "Unlocked"

I tried another local Sim Card from a different carrier ( Airtel - Kenya) and it works.
Hall of Famer III
My Device: DTEK50 (AAI82), PRIV (AAI795), Z10/Z30/Q10 (10.3.2.2813), Playbook (2.1.0.1917)

Then I would deduce (I cannot know anything for sure) that there is something about SafariCom's network that is not compatible. Maybe radio frequencies, data plans, etc. You should ring them up for formal assistance.

Good luck!

New to the Community? Click here and also here for helpful guidance. Also please click here for additional helpful information to guide you as you proceed. I always recommend that you treat your BlackBerry like any other computing device, including using a regular backup schedule...click here for an article with instructions. If anyone has been helpful to you, please show your appreciation by clicking the button. Need a reference to BB10 OS/SR versions? Click here. Need a specific BB10 AutoLoader? Send me a private message.

...................................................... ......................................................
My Device: z 10
My Carrier: safaricom

hi i am facing the same issue with safaricom, i have been told that they are upgrading their software to be compatible with the z 10, this will be done by 12/4/2013.

thanks.

My Device: z10

have you upgraded the software on your z10? i upgraded mine and its working fine on safaricom.

My Device: z 10

mine is saying " you have the latest software " no upgrades available....

Hall of Famer III

As has always been with BB, the device OS updates are controlled by the carriers. If your carrier is not yet pushing out any updates, here is a published trick:

New Contributor

I have been informed by Safaricom Support that Z10 service is yet to be configured. They are still talking/negotiating with RIM. On the other hand a friend of mine who has a friend at Safaricom has said they will not have the usual BlackBerry service offered to Z10, instead Z10 users will have to buy internet bundles from Safaricom.

Full Blackberry Service for Z10 is working well with Airtell.  If Safaricom doesnt provide the usual BlackBerry service for Z10 soon, I will be forced to switch over to Airtell, since I have alreday purchased a Z10.

Visitor
My Device: Z10

How does one upgrade?