Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® Z10

Contributor
My Device: Z10
My Carrier: Videotron

Z10 vs Apple powerbook G4 Mac OS 10.5.8

Hi,

I just bought the new Z10 and unfortunately, i couldn't connect it with my computer. It seems the software requiere Mac OS 10.6 and i couldn't upgrade mine to 10.6. My computer can only run with 10.5.8.

I try to find an other desktop manager that can run on my OS. It is ok but the old version of desktop manager doesn't want to recognize my Z10... why? Of  course the new Iphone work on my computer and the google OS also... Why not the only one i choose (blackberry)? Did I do something wrong? Is there any other way to connect The mobile and my computer (wireless??)

I also couldn't access to the itunes match to share my music in airplay on my Z10??

Actually i feel desapointed and hope you can give me an advise to solve this problem.

Thanks for your help

JG from Canada

Guru II
My Device: BlackBerry PRIV; BlackBerry Z30, Z10 and Q10 w/OS 10.3.2.2639; PlayBook w/OS 2.1.0.1917
My Carrier: AT&T

Re: Z10 vs Apple powerbook G4 Mac OS 10.5.8

The old BlackBerry Desktop Software is not compatible with the Z10 at all. The Z10 requires the Link software. If the Link software will not run on your Mac (yes, it does require 10.6 or higher) then you will not be able to connect it to a Mac running 10.5.8.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
1. Please thank those who help you by clicking the "Like" button at the bottom of the post that helped you.
2. If your issue has been solved, please resolve it by marking the post "Solution?" which solved it for you!
Contributor

Thanks for your reply,

So you mean thaht i have bought a useless phone  i can't use. And my provider would not change it... So now youmake my day I'm very upset against Blackberry and of course with such a problem i won't buy one again and make some buz to advise people how bad it is...

Any other solution?

Thank you for your understanding

JG

Guru II
My Device: BlackBerry PRIV; BlackBerry Z30, Z10 and Q10 w/OS 10.3.2.2639; PlayBook w/OS 2.1.0.1917

Do you have access to another computer? A PC or a Mac with 10.6 or higher? No way at all to upgrade to 10.6 or higher? That's all you need. It's not a useless phone.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
1. Please thank those who help you by clicking the "Like" button at the bottom of the post that helped you.
2. If your issue has been solved, please resolve it by marking the post "Solution?" which solved it for you!
Contributor

Hi, thanks for you reply,

Of course it is because it doesn't work...instead of the other OS.. On that computer i Have my contacts, my music, my pic, everything. The main problem is that it is an old computer (powerbook G4) but it works well and i won't change it just for Z10 beautiful eyes :-). The computer works with airplay and the cloud which are new technologies so i couldn't understant it won't work with the Z10. Apple told me one years ago that I will not be abble to upgrade the OS more than OS 10.5.8 and they provide me the upgrade to be sure i will be abble to work as long as i can.

By doing thahtBlackberry is doing an oblolet programation that make me really upset, Actually I really regret my choice.

Still hoping we can find a solution.

Thanks for your help

JG

Guru II

I understand your predicament. However, this type of thing happens when one tries to hang on to old technology. I suspect in the coming months you will find other things that will require newer OS's. I liked Windows 98 back in the day but had to upgrade computers so I could run XP, and soon Windows 7. This is the way of technology.

Can you run a Windows environment on your Mac and use the Windows version?

Contributor

Of course i can't run a windows version. I bought a mac especially not to run wondows and as i explained my computer is too old to run windows. But this point i knew it when i bought the computer few years ago. The main problem is bb didn't told me it won't work, this is the only reason i'm so upset. Even if with an old version of desktop manager... I can accept less possibilities but not that. Doesn't it look like humoristic, my z10 now is as usefull as a mobile in the 90's :-). My main question is what to do to solve the problem? What is the option? Thanks JG
Forums Advisor II
My Device: Z10 10.2.1.3247
My Carrier: T-Mo USA

Is there anyway to run link wirelessly or have you tried? Also, have you checked on MAC forums to see if others have found a work around? We have both Windows and Mac computers in our house and Mac is always a PIA to keep current.
Contributor

It was my first step to go and see on mac forums. They have no solutions instead of changing mobile phone or computer :-( I also try to connect it wireless as i do with other devices, but i couldn't. It looks it need desktop manager on the computer to be recognize. Is there another way by wireless? I really try to do it that way but actually it doesn't work.

Any other ideas or solutions?

JG

Guru III
My Device:

I'm rockin the BlackBerry PRIV, Passport, Z30, Z10, Q10, BlackBerry Mini Stereo Speaker, 64 gig PlayBook,BT Headset HS-700

My Carrier: I am on AT&T. Please edit your Personal Profile with your DEVICE TYPE, DEVICE OS and Carrier

you can access files via wifi with this info

http://www.blackberry.com/btsc/KB26068

Click here to Backup the data on your BlackBerry Device! It's important, and FREE!

Click "Accept as Solution" if your problem is solved. To give thanks, click thumbs up
Click to search the Knowledge Base at BTSC and click to Read The Fabulous Manuals

BESAdmin's, please make a signature with your BES environment info.

SIM Free BlackBerry Unlocking FAQ
Follow me on Twitter @knottyrope

Want to thank me? Buy my KnottyRope App here

BES 12 and BES 5.0.4 with Exchange 2010 and SQL 2012 Hyper V