Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® Z10

Forums Veteran I
My Device: Z30
My Carrier: Telus

Re: Z10 when plugged in to my windows8 computer (pavilion g6) I receive a bluescreen

This usually happens when plugged into a "Super USB3" port. Find a USB2 port and plug into it instead.

SYP
New Contributor
My Device: Current: Z10 and loving it! Previous: Torch, Storm 1 & 2, Curve 1 & 2, Pearl
My Carrier: Verizon

Re: Z10 when plugged in to my windows8 computer (pavilion g6) I receive a bluescreen

I agree with the poster above -- for me this DCP Watchdog violation problem seems to be directly related to plugging my phone into a superspeed (USB 3.0) port when the computer is running Windows 8. Most newer laptops have at least one of each type. However:

---->> If I plug my phone into a 2.0 USB port then it works fine and doesn't cause the blue screen of death. <<----

The superspeed ports are often marked with one of the following:  "SS" symbol near the port, a blue USB symbol, or a blue connecter port. If your computer shows none of these things then refer to the specs/guide for your computer to figure out which are 2.0 and which are 3.0 and stay away from the superspeed ones when connecting your BB device.

It's ridiculous that the Windows 8 compatibility guide says that Blackberry 10 devices are compatible and it's even more ridiculous that these issues, like the DCP problem, aren't being addressed immediately, as in yesterday, by Blackberry. I have been a long-time, loyal BB fan but lately I've had problem after problem. I love my Z10 -- brilliant device! -- but seriously, this stuff is a major PITA and is really detracting from what would otherwise be a great experience for BB10 users.

Three main issues so far:

1) The DCP Watchdog Violation issue discussed here, which is killer because people with this problem are having their computers crash over and over again -- not good for the hardware and extremely frustrating for the user. I was ready to office space both my phone and my computer over this nonsense until I figured out the USB work around.

2) Something about Windows 8 interferes with our mobile hotspot connections (my partner also has a Z10 and we use our mobile hotspots are our primary internet connection). When our Windows 8 computers are offline there is no issue -- we get blazing fast speed with our Windows 7 computers. But when we connect a computer running Windows 8 to the hotspot it slows way down, loses connection constantly, the network icons on the phone jump back and forth between displaying 4GLTE, 4glte, and no signal. The Blackberry service symbol also comes and goes. No one at Verizon can figure out the problem. I have spent hours on the phone with Verizon tech support and they even called Blackberry directly to get help while I was on the phone -- no one had answers but when researching the issue I see that other BB users running Windows 8 are experiencing this, too.

3) Downloading & installing Blackberry Link requires installing a previous version of .NET framework, which is not automatically enabled or installed on Windows 8 computers. Enabling it in the control panel doesn't seem to work, the only way I fixed this issue on my first Windows 8 laptop was to download the full package version (not the bootstrapper) of 3.5 .NET framework and install it myself manually, along with the necessary updates and patches. At least this fix is mentioned now in several places, but what a nusiance. And don't even get me started on Blackberry Link -- the old desktop software for legacy devices was much more intuitive and user friendly (but that's not a Windows issue).

SYP
New Contributor
My Device: Current: Z10 and loving it! Previous: Torch, Storm 1 & 2, Curve 1 & 2, Pearl
My Carrier: Verizon

[ Edited ]

Found this posted on another forum, it might work for those who don't have a USB 2.0 port to use as some of the newest computers only have 3.0 superspeed ports. I haven't tried this, but it might be worth a go.

Control Panel --> System and Security --> Power Options --> Change plan settings (beside your currently seclected plan) --> Change advanced power settings- -> USB settings --> USB selective suspend settings --> then choose to disable both Battery and Plugged in

EDITED TO ADD:

Had an issue with Blackberry Link and I decided to give this fix a try in hopes that I might be able to use the 3.0 port to connected to Link.

It worked! I had my Z10 plugged into my superspeed 3.0 port several times this evening, once for well over an hour, and I did not get the BSOD once! Before doing this I would've had the BSOD at least five times during that same period. I was also able to successfully connect to Link, so I hope this works for others, too.