Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® Z10

New Contributor
My Device: Z10
My Carrier: Singtel

Re: Z10 without BIS just a kind of pale iPhone copy

easy to say you haven't experienced bill-shock...

my carrier charges roughly usd30 per MB for data roaming.

i easily receive >10MB in emails every day. that's usd300 per day just in data roaming charges!!

previously under the BIS system, i'd never exceeded usd100 in data charges (regardless how much i travelled).

IMAP is not an option (email service provider doesn't support this), nor does my telco offer any fixed-rate unlimited data roam plans for certain countries i regularly visit.

am basically stuck downloading & uploading all my data in WIFI hotspots - which is a real pain in the **bleep** & definitely a step backward. currently wondering if i should abandon the Blackberry 10 (only been using it for 2 wks)!

Highlighted
Hall of Famer III
My Device: PRIV (6.0.1/AAF518), Z10/Z30/Q10 (10.3.2.2813), Playbook (2.1.0.1526)
My Carrier: TMobile USA

flat6 wrote:

easy to say you haven't experienced bill-shock...

Easy to say -- you don't know me. You don't know the restrictions where I am. For example, where I am, I can get a perfectly well functioning Android device for US$30/month including 100m talk, unlimited SMS, and 5GB data. The least cost BlackBerry plan (pre-BB10) I could find was US$50/month, and had a much lower data limit.

At one time in my life, I indeed did experience "bill-shock"...international roaming in China and Singapore...my bill came to over US$2,000 each month that I was traveling.

Things are very different in different regions of the world...the carriers, not BlackBerry, control all of this. The way it works for you does not apply to the way it works for anyone else. While it is therefore interesting to compare how things work in different regions, it is also not relevant. Each user must choose from the services, plans, and pricing that is available to them...what is available to you is not available to me.

Good luck!

Occam's Razor nearly always applies when troubleshooting technology issues!

New to the Community? Click here and also here for helpful guidance. Also please click here for additional helpful information to guide you as you proceed. I always recommend that you treat your BlackBerry like any other computing device, including using a regular backup schedule...click here for an article with instructions. If anyone has been helpful to you, please show your appreciation by clicking the button. Need a reference to BB10 OS/SR versions? Click here. Need a specific BB10 AutoLoader? Send me a private message.

...................................................... ......................................................
New Contributor
My Device: blackberry 9780
My Carrier: 963009096

DIDFOR, you´re so right, BIS was what made blackberry different from all the rest, i have also a z10, and the diference in data consumption is huge comparing to my 9780, i have a 200mb data plan and with my 9780 that´s more than enough and last the all month receving emails daily

with the z10, in only one day, i´ve spent 50mb receving the same amount of email i receive in my 9780.

i´ve always said that, in terms of email, there were the blackberrys and all the remaing cellphone brands, but with bb10 i can´t say that anymore, because now a blackberry is like so many other phones out there, and being so, there are so many better phones than z10 in the market

the difference is dead, what made blackberry great and indispensable is dead, the conceipt is dead

RIP blackberry, but i'll remain with my 9780, one of the best phones i've ever had

My Device: Z10 10.2.1.3247
My Carrier: T-Mo USA

"What made Blackberry great..."  "What made Blackberry different..." wasn't helping BBerry sell phones.  No matter how wonderful the old platform was, it wasn't perceived as wonderful.  I believe business accounts can still use the "Enterprise" server with the BlackBerry NOC for security (which still sets Z10 apart).  But getting rid of a Z10 for an iPhone because it behaves too much like an iPhone is odd logic.  I've used a lot of platforms over the years, and the current 10 series on BBerry is my favorite. 

New Contributor
My Device: blackberry 9780
My Carrier: 963009096

i didnt say that i would trade the z10 for an iphone, because i'm not even a apple fan, i said that in terms of savings i wouldn't trade my 9780 for the z10, is diferent to pay for a 200mb package than is to pay for a 1gb one

and another thing, with my 9780 i assure at least 3 days without charging with the data plan active, with the z10 i can barely stand for half a day

i didn't say that it is a bad phone, i love blackberry and i had almost every model of it, i say that is just another good phone, like s3, s4, iphone 4s, xperia z, etc, etc

doesn't have nothing that make him outstand from the rest, and as i said before, in terms of battery life sucks, and we cannot forget that, at least in portugal is a 800 euros phone, it should be much, much better

My Device: Z10 10.2.1.3247
My Carrier: T-Mo USA

[ Edited ]

Actually, I wasn't referring to you, joaquimf, but the OP and it was a general statement. BBerry still has Enterprise, which absolutely sets it apart. And, IMHO, it has a far better way of organizing tasks. My battery life has been excellent, BTW. Yes, 800 euros is a lot (over $1000 us). But BBerry does not control currency valuations. In the US you can get the phone for less than half that price. Which makes it a very good deal.