Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® Z10

New Contributor
My Device: none yet
My Carrier: verizon

Z10 without Camera??

Does anybody know (wth some support evidence, i.e. without just speculating) if a Z10 will eventually be available without cameras?

Forums Advisor I
My Device: Blackberry Z10, Blackberry Playbook 64gb
My Carrier: Bell

Re: Z10 without Camera??

Thats a difficult question to answer, nobody knows what the future BB hardware would have a camera or not. But in todays world it is essential for business besides using it in the social media sites and also using your phone camera for QR codes, Scanning documents with your phone, its essential business tool.  Any reason why you don't want a camera on your phone?

New Contributor
My Device: none yet
My Carrier: verizon

Yes.  I work in the defense industry, in an environment where employees cannot bring camera phones (or other devices that can record audio or video) into the site.  I've seen other inquiries on the web from people who work in similarly restricted environments (military in Singapore, shipyards in Virginia, ...).  I'm not sure how what the total number of such users is, but I think it's a substantial number who are currenty using old 'brick' phones, or the Blackberry Curve.  Since Blackberry needs to do all it can to restore some of its market share, I would hope they recognize this opportunity.  At my site, I'm sure there are thousands of employees who would love to have a personal smart phone that they can take into work with them.

Forums Advisor III
My Device: Torch, Bold, Play Book, and Bluetooth HS-700
My Carrier: BELL

There are some other manufacture phones that do not have a camera, and can also send and receive emails. The problem is these types usually don't offer a full keyboard. If reading email is of the importance and not sending this type of phone will do the job.

The problem you have is the greatest demand is for cameras in the phones. From the hundreds of millions of phones with camera demand when compared to without, the non camera demand would be far too low for manufactures to start making phones without cameras.

Another suggestion:

If you bring your phone to a Blackberry service center, I am sure they can remove the camera module from the phone, or disconnect it if it is on a ribbon connector. This is a replaceable module in most phone models in case it fails.  I am sure the service rep could write up a letter or give you an invoice that would document the fact the camera was removed on the phone. The serial number of the phone must appear on the invoiced.

Jerry G.
Highlighted
Forums Advisor I
My Device: Blackberry Z10, Blackberry Playbook 64gb
My Carrier: Bell

Thank you for sharing your needs, I understand why now. In the rumor mill there is some scheduled to be released, but not sure if it will have a phone without a camera. I think what Gerry said is something you can look into about having the camera removed. 

http://crackberry.com/rumored-blackberry-10-2013-roadmap-tablets-phablets-and-more

New Contributor
My Device: NON-CAMERA
My Carrier: ATT

I would buy one.