Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® Z10

Contributor
My Device: Z10
My Carrier: Telus
Accepted Solution

accidental dialing

I'm stumped.

Until I got the Z10, I had never pocket dialed, now I've done it 6 times.

It tends to happen when I am picking up the phone.  I usually grab it near the bottom and on the sides.  I've tried all kinds of gestures to see if I can get it to re-dial the last number, but I can't.  I'll be walking and then I start hearing voices and I realize I just dialed someone. 

holster actions are turned off.

I've looked through the manual to see if there is a redial shortcut and I can't find anything.

Any Ideas ?

Solutions: 6,331
My Device: Passport • Z30 • Z10 • Torch9850 • Playbook
My Carrier: Verizon

Re: accidental dialing

Are you carrying this in your pocket?

In a holster in your pocket?

>> NEW! 10% discount on BlackBerry devices from ShopBlackBerry.com, including PRIV

1. If any post helps you please click the Like Button below the post(s) that helped you.
2. Please resolve your thread by marking the post "Solution?" which solved it for you!
3. Install free BlackBerry Protect today for backups of contacts and data.
4. Guide to Unlocking your BlackBerry & Unlock Codes
Join our BBM Channels (Beta)
BlackBerry Support Forums Channel
PIN: C0001B7B4   Display/Scan Bar Code
Knowledge Base Updates
PIN: C0005A9AA   Display/Scan Bar Code
Contributor

JSanders wrote:

last night - the phone is sitting on my desk.  I pick it up and start walking away and I somehow connected to the last caller.

yesterday - the phone sitting on the stairs before going to walk the dog.  I pick it up and before I put it in my holster, I  have dialed the last caller.

I'm trying to figure out if it is the phone or the user Smiley Happy

Contributor

arkaroola wrote:

JSanders wrote:

last night - the phone is sitting on my desk.  I pick it up and start walking away and I somehow connected to the last caller.

yesterday - the phone sitting on the stairs before going to walk the dog.  I pick it up and before I put it in my holster, I  have dialed the last caller.

I'm trying to figure out if it is the phone or the user Smiley Happy

I am sad to say, it is user error.  I finally figured out what I was doing wrong.

When i was picking the phone up, I sometimes would put my my finger on the left part of the screen and do a 'peek' kind of action.  If my finger was aligned with a phone call in the hub, if I pressed for a short time (while I am picking up the phone), it would dial the number.

Now I grab the phone on the top and bottom instead of the sides Smiley Happy

That makes sense. Certainly not "pocket dialing" since it wasn't even in your pocket. Smiley Wink

Good luck.

>> NEW! 10% discount on BlackBerry devices from ShopBlackBerry.com, including PRIV

1. If any post helps you please click the Like Button below the post(s) that helped you.
2. Please resolve your thread by marking the post "Solution?" which solved it for you!
Knowledge Base Updates
New Contributor
My Device: z10
My Carrier: sasktel

I don't think the pocket dialing issue with the Z10 is solved.

Here is what has been happening to me.

In settings, I have "Allow gestures when locked" set to "OFF".  That way i need to push the button to activate the screen.  This should help prevent my phonefrom pocket dialing most of the time.  But it does NOT.

The glitch is blue tooth.  Let's say I am driving and I have my blue tooth in and phone in my pocket.  I get/make a call using my blue tooth.  After the call is ended, the "call page" remains open and unlocked on my bbZ10, and within a minute, it is pocket dialing.  I should not have to be trying to dig my phone out of my pocket while I am driving so that I can make sure the 'call page' is closed after a call.

I have never had an issue with pocket dialing before the z10.  I had 9 accidental pocket dials in one day alone with the z10. I understand that there is a learning curve for every new phone, but as Blackberry is considered a professional business phone (and that is what I use it for) I find it extremely embarrasing and unprofessional that I have a phone with such a glaring fault.  This is completely unsatisfactory.

This should be an easy fix.  The os needs to be configured so that the call page CLOSES at the end of a call.

I should not be forced to wear a holster or some other cumbersome workaround to make up for a fault in the phones os.

FIX IT BB!!!

Don't carry a phone in your pocket while driving. Take it out, lay it on the seat or the center console.

Get a simple cover or pouch for your BlackBerry. There are many solutions to your problem.

Knowledge Base Updates
New Contributor

I paid over $600 for this phone, and that is the solution?  I have to start altering how I live my life because of a flaw inherent to the phone?  Or I have to get a pouch to make this 'wonderful' phone even more accessable and easy to use?  

Unacceptable and completely unsatisfactory!

I work in the energy sector.  I am in and out of my truck all day long.  Leaving it on the console means that eventually I will forget it there.  This phone should be making my life simpler, NOT more complicated.

If I knew that i had to keep my phone in a pouch or holster and that it had glaring idiosyncracies that required me to wear a holster or a pouch , I would have bought a different phone. 

Having a phone that pocket dials is not funny.  It is not inconvienient.  It is unacceptable.  I cannot and will not have a phone that is pocket-calling busy professional people at work.  It makes me look highly unprofessional.

Again, BB FIX your phone. 

This is a BB product flaw.  Don't try to make a BB product problem my responsibility.  It will drive straight back to the communications shop and I will get a different phone.

Fix it!

You think iPhones don't pocket dial?

I'm simply making a suggestion to help you. Hey, you can go kick your dog or what ever you want to vent your frustration, I don't care. But phones WILL dial in pockets, especially scrunched up in your pocket sitting in a truck driving. It's just not a good idea.

Knowledge Base Updates
New Contributor

Go kick my dog?!!!

You don't care?

As the "resident expert", I certainly hope for blackberry's sake you do not work for RIM, and that buying pouches, leaving my phone on the seat, or that kicking dogs and resident experts that don't care is not the company line on this issue.

As far as other phones pocket dialing, I have never had that problem until the Z10.   I bought an otterbox when I bought the phone.  I wasn't told that it would need further accessories in order to function properly or that pocket dialing would be an issue.