Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® Z10

Highlighted
Trusted Contributor
My Device: Z10, PlayBook 64 OS2.1
My Carrier: O2 UK

another bit of z10 blackberry genius - hdmi film previews

So, I'm in a room of iLovers about to hdmi my phone to show them the biz!

However unlike my PlayBook the z10 os doesn't work landscape on the phone or hdmi. Not a problem I thought when I went to show the guys blackberry world. Having watched some film previews earlier I noticed that the film previews automatically went landscape. However the tv is not notified that the preview is landscape so the preview shows side ways 90degrees just down the middle of the tv screen. genius. We, all turn our heads to the right before saying wtf?

I'm pleased to say that the cinetrailer application which works well on playbook works even better on the z10 and is far better than the native blackberry world app for film information where it also appears that you can only browse the top 15 films or albums... Though you can search for anything with a search term. I think bb has underestimated the power of visual browsing.

I know since using cinetrailer.tv I've got a lot more interested in watching and buying films I would have never known about.

I'm beginning to wonder if any real people tested bb10 or just individual developers tested their own apps with no overall real world testing.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
'LIKE' me if it makes sense...

PS. The BlackBerry Z10 & PlayBook rock with the QED uPlay!
BlackBerry Employee
My Device: Z10
My Carrier: Rogers

Re: another bit of z10 blackberry genius - hdmi film previews

Thanks for the report.  I see this behaviour too.

Trusted Contributor

If you care to know some other issues, I posted in other smart phones before I found the z10 forum... Think the topic was 'things i don't get about my new z10.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Trusted Contributor

My personal view is that it would have been ideal if BlackBerry had implimented auto rotation of the whole OS / homescreen as they did with the PlayBook. I notice the hub rotates so why don't the other homescreens and menus?

Did nobody at rim ever use their phone in landscape mode? I can't believe that.

The playbooks forced rotation on hdmi output makes good sense - haven't yet found a time when it caused a problem for me as like most users I don't have a portrait TV, I have a 16:9 landscape TV. the z10 only uses around 1/4 of the center of my tv.

To be honest if there had been a mini playbook phone - ie a smaller playbook (exact same features) with a phone app I would have bought that while I waited for the z10. A missed opportunity I feel. The playbook is now (with os 2.1) quite underrated - by far the best value tablet on the market and still not fulfilling the maximum potential of its hardware.

If the pb had been launched with OS 2.1 I think BB would have stolen the market. Unfortunately, I feel the z10 may also not reach its full potential until a few major updates down the line. Having said that I was impressed with the way the playbook kept on improving so there is a great deal of hope for the z10. But some of the problems should just not be there at this stage.

Once BB OS 10 is fully fixed like PB OS2.1 and has the full support of skype and other major apps... I would love to see a larger Playbook Launch - at a reasonable price. I would then probably buy enough apps to make up the loss on tablet retail value / manufacturing cost.

Trusted Contributor
My Device: BlackBerry Z10 & PlayBook
My Carrier: AT&T

I have to agree with you Zaba76 BlackBerry needs to fix these little issues quickly and make them go away before the press starts reporting on them. Bloggers love to build up stuff just to break it down.
My Device: BOLD 9700
My Carrier: TELUS

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iD30LxC4WDc 

did you know that you should select play on hdmi... we need to learn how to use this wonderful tool