Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® Z10

New Contributor
My Device: blackberry Z10
My Carrier: cell c
Accepted Solution

bis

Why is the bis being stopped in south africa?
Hall of Famer III
My Device: PRIV (6.0.1/AAG111), Z10/Z30/Q10 (10.3.2.2813), Playbook (2.1.0.1526)
My Carrier: TMobile USA

Re: bis

Hello,

The carriers are in complete control over the services that they offer. BB10 has been totally re-engineered to no longer require BIS and functions via a "normal" data plan. In some markets, that means loss of some things (e.g., unlimited BIS internet usage, etc.). In other markets, it means a gain of some things (e.g., no longer having to pay double for BIS services versus "generic" data plans).

All in all, "why" is a very difficult question to answer...to truly know "why", one must posses insider information, which of course one would be barred from revealing.

Good luck!

Occam's Razor nearly always applies when troubleshooting technology issues!

New to the Community? Click here and also here for helpful guidance. Also please click here for additional helpful information to guide you as you proceed. I always recommend that you treat your BlackBerry like any other computing device, including using a regular backup schedule...click here for an article with instructions. If anyone has been helpful to you, please show your appreciation by clicking the button. Need a reference to BB10 OS/SR versions? Click here. Need a specific BB10 AutoLoader? Send me a private message.

...................................................... ......................................................
New Contributor
My Device: blackberry Z10
My Carrier: cell c

Thanks so much for your reply. Anyways there's nothing we can do about it but accept it. Regards.
Hall of Famer III
My Device: PRIV (6.0.1/AAG111), Z10/Z30/Q10 (10.3.2.2813), Playbook (2.1.0.1526)
My Carrier: TMobile USA

Indeed...you are most welcome!

Occam's Razor nearly always applies when troubleshooting technology issues!

New to the Community? Click here and also here for helpful guidance. Also please click here for additional helpful information to guide you as you proceed. I always recommend that you treat your BlackBerry like any other computing device, including using a regular backup schedule...click here for an article with instructions. If anyone has been helpful to you, please show your appreciation by clicking the button. Need a reference to BB10 OS/SR versions? Click here. Need a specific BB10 AutoLoader? Send me a private message.

...................................................... ......................................................
New Contributor
My Device: Z10
My Carrier: Airtel, India

Thanks for your replies. 

I do appreciate that BIS may or may not be preferred by BB users. I am one of the people who prefers it. With Z10, I am facing the following two issues:

a. Need to download complete attachment before forwarding them vis-a-vis the earlier scenario where attachments used to get forwarded from Servers only.

b. There is no provision to download only part email (headers only or 2Kb only) due to which the complete mail gets downloaded.

I have an unlimited data plan when I am in my home network - s0, the above scenarios are still manageable when in home country. Issue comes during international roaming where I could afford 2kb mails (in my old BB Bold) but not the complete downloads in my Z10. My international bill has increased 3-4 times because of lack of these 2 features. 

Is it not possible that BIS is made optional for Z10 users? This way, people who like BIS use and people who don't don't.

Any plan of any sort in future?

Thanks in advance.

Trusted Contributor
My Device: Rotary Phone

[ Edited ]

There is no more push email, contacts, or calendar with BB10 except for Microsoft Exchange accounts. No push Gmail, no push Yahoo and yes, email is checked every 15 minutes by default.

BB10/QNX  couldn't function over the company’s existing network, so BB10 devices have to use a local mail client on the device itself as opposed to having the network handle the accounts, the push features, syncing, and so on.

There is no more Blackberry Internet Service, it’s just data now like iPhone and android.

Why the Lack of BIS for Email Will Hamper Blackberry Z10 Adoption

http://goodereader.com/blog/tablet-slates/why-the-lack-of-bis-for-email-will-hamper-blackberry-z10-a...

New Contributor
My Device: Z10
My Carrier: Airtel, India

Thanks for your revert. I understand that overall architecture now.

One query still remains: Even if email service is client based, can not BB add a feature where in we can download only the headers or 2 KB or 10 KB (configurable) instead of downloading the complete mail (As is done by clients like K-9). This way I believe I can reduce my internationaly data bill (by downloading only 2KB and getting the context before downloading that mail completely in few cases).

Please advise.

Solutions: 6,357
My Device: Passport • Z30 • Z10 • Torch9850 • Playbook
My Carrier: Verizon

aroraman, it is entirely possible that an option to sync only headers etc be initially synced. Good suggestion.

Just a further note that the state above by another user re: no more push email etc., is incorrect, misleading and ill-informed.
>> NEW! 10% discount on BlackBerry devices from ShopBlackBerry.com, including PRIV

1. If any post helps you please click the Like Button below the post(s) that helped you.
2. Please resolve your thread by marking the post "Solution?" which solved it for you!
3. Install free BlackBerry Protect today for backups of contacts and data.
4. Guide to Unlocking your BlackBerry & Unlock Codes
Join our BBM Channels (Beta)
BlackBerry Support Forums Channel
PIN: C0001B7B4   Display/Scan Bar Code
Knowledge Base Updates
PIN: C0005A9AA   Display/Scan Bar Code