Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® Z10

Highlighted
Contributor
My Device: Not Specified
Accepted Solution

blackberry 10 specific backup and restore!

Hi
how can I backup a specific app or data without backup in up my entire phone?
My phone has issues and I want to restart to factory settings. The problem is I can't backup blackberry password keeper without backing up the settings, and I have a checkbook app that I cant backup without backing up all the apps!

Please help.

Thank you
Retired
My Device: Q10/Q5/Z10/9930/9860/9310

Re: blackberry 10 specific backup and restore!

Hey blakhaddad,

Welcome to the BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

Thanks for the question.

You can do a selective restore by going into BlackBerry Link and click on Settings.  Click on Restore Device Data and choose from a backup file and you can choose Application Data, Media, Settings.

However you can not restore single applications.

Let me know if you have any more questions.

Cheers.

-ViciousFerret

Come follow your BlackBerry Technical Team on Twitter! @BlackBerryHelp

Be sure to click Like! for those who have helped you.

Click  Accept as Solution for posts that have solved your issue(s)!

Contributor
My Device: Z10
My Carrier: Verizon

You might not be able to restore the "application" but you can restore just the PWK data.  I just did it today.  It only took 3 tech support calls and 6 hours, but it finally worked.  I detailed the events and solution here:  http://forums.crackberry.com/blackberry-z10-f254/got-new-z10-how-start-right-810686/#post8538791

However FWIW, then I tried to copy and paste a password into Evernote sign in and the app simply would not paste into the password field.  Ended up writing it down on a post it note.  If I WANTED to use post it notes to keep valuable information, then I would not need a Blackberry.  Another item to add to the punch list.

Super Contributor
My Device: Priv, Passport, iPhone 6s
My Carrier: Telus

PaulTSF wrote:

You might not be able to restore the "application" but you can restore just the PWK data.  I just did it today.  It only took 3 tech support calls and 6 hours, but it finally worked.  I detailed the events and solution here:  http://forums.crackberry.com/blackberry-z10-f254/got-new-z10-how-start-right-810686/#post8538791

However FWIW, then I tried to copy and paste a password into Evernote sign in and the app simply would not paste into the password field.  Ended up writing it down on a post it note.  If I WANTED to use post it notes to keep valuable information, then I would not need a Blackberry.  Another item to add to the punch list.

So, the only way you could restore the PW keeper data was from your legacy device backup?  Gladn that worked for you, even though you had to work for it.

In my case, that's a no-go.  I've probably added 30-35 entries, changed about a dozen more since my last legacy back-up.

If only BB Protect could once again backup and restore select data, or if BB Link were revised to allow more granular backups/restores.  I have literally everything in the cloud except PW Keeper data and some important browser bookmarks.

Contributor

You are correct about my restore being from the legacy backup. The tech support person implied that granular restore was possible on the Windows version of the Link software in general. I don't have ready access right now to the PC I used or I would see if I could reproduce it. The path she led me down did not seem intuitive. When I have access to the PC again, I will endeavor to update this post. Good luck.
Super Contributor
My Device: Priv, Passport, iPhone 6s
My Carrier: Telus

No dice with BB Link.  "Settings", "Application data" and "Media" are as granular as it gets.

Cheers.

Super Contributor
My Device: Z10 * Q10 * Z30 * Passport
My Carrier: Telkom Mobile

Was also hoping there is a backup like the OS5 - 7 where you could choose selective backups it came in handy and saved a lot of time. I am seeing BBM contacts cannot be selectively backed up so if I am to reinstall the app to solve the problem of display picture not changing I will have to back up a whole lot of other data too.

Contributor

I'm just spitballing, but didn't I see that BBM has it own separate contact backup ability? My one contact reappeared after I made the Z10 switch with no problem.
Hall of Famer III
My Device: PRIV (6.0.1/AAG111), Z10/Z30/Q10 (10.3.2.2813), Playbook (2.1.0.1526)
My Carrier: TMobile USA

[ Edited ]

FYI -- BBM contact backup vanished long before BB10...BBM7 (for legacy BBOS) introduced the new method of BBM contact storage (which is not on the device, but rather "in the cloud" associated to the BBID). And that methodology has continued into BB10.

As for granular LINK backup/restore capabilities...those do not presently exist beyond the 3 levels available...we all hope that a future update may bring more capability in this regard. But, for now, it is what it is.

Good luck!

Occam's Razor nearly always applies when troubleshooting technology issues!

New to the Community? Click here and also here for helpful guidance. Also please click here for additional helpful information to guide you as you proceed. I always recommend that you treat your BlackBerry like any other computing device, including using a regular backup schedule...click here for an article with instructions. If anyone has been helpful to you, please show your appreciation by clicking the button. Need a reference to BB10 OS/SR versions? Click here. Need a specific BB10 AutoLoader? Send me a private message.

...................................................... ......................................................
Super Contributor
My Device: Z10 * Q10 * Z30 * Passport
My Carrier: Telkom Mobile

Thanks for the clarification on BBM contacts, Steve.