Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® Z10

New Contributor
My Device: Z10
My Carrier: du

blackberry z10 maps language issue

BlackBerry maps were working fine and all place names were displayed in English language since last week. Suddenly it got changed and now all the place names are displaying in Arabic. Can anybody have a solution or know the options to change the display language. Pls advise.
Retired
My Device: BlackBerry Z10 smartphone

Re: blackberry z10 maps language issue

Hi aneeahbtr,

Welcome to the BlackBerry Support Community.

Could you please provide some more detail so I can assist you better?

What region are you located in? Has your location recently changed?

Were any changes made to your BlackBerry Z10 smartphone before this issue started? Were any applications installed or updated or any settings changed?
Are you seeing the Arabic display only in the BlackBerry Maps application?
In Settings > Location Services are Location Services on?
In Settings > Language and Input, are your language and region set correctly?

I look forward to your response.

-FS

Come follow your BlackBerry Technical Team on Twitter! @BlackBerryHelp

Be sure to click Kudos! for those who have helped you.

Click Solution? for posts that have solved your issue(s)!

My Carrier: DU

Hi dear,

I am having the same issue, although i bought the mobile here in dubai.. i want to change the maps language to english.. i find it impossible to do it.. i have set all my settings to english as well.

could u please advise on the same

My Carrier: GIEANT

Hey,

i got the same problem, maps in arabic, pls let me know if u able to resolve the issue! thank u!

New Contributor
My Carrier: du

I bought my Mob from uae only. Not changed any region/language.
This is a genuine problem and need to rectify asap.
New Contributor
My Device: Q5
My Carrier: etisalat

FrankieS wrote:

Hi aneeahbtr,

Welcome to the BlackBerry Support Community.

Could you please provide some more detail so I can assist you better?

What region are you located in? Has your location recently changed?

Were any changes made to your BlackBerry Z10 smartphone before this issue started? Were any applications installed or updated or any settings changed?
Are you seeing the Arabic display only in the BlackBerry Maps application?
In Settings > Location Services are Location Services on?
In Settings > Language and Input, are your language and region set correctly?

I look forward to your response.

Glad that you are looking forward for our response.... well, here is our response.

Even though your 'solution' made no sense, I went through all that and guess what... nothing Smiley Happy

The problem is not that I want to change the language settings of the Maps application (which is what you are prompting us to do), but rather the display language for the maps.

Now, I could do that (and actually I did it) with my old curve 8920 and this is how:

http://docs.blackberry.com/en/smartphone_users/deliverables/32608/Change_lang_maps_1422233_11.jsp

So you tell me what was the reasoning in removing this option... to make us all learn French, Arabic, Urdu, Chinese, Italian, Spanish and Afghani?!! Are you serious!?

New Contributor
My Device: BlackBerry Q10

This is an issue on my Q10 also. Although it appears that languages are displayed in Arabic and English sometimes. I'm in Dubai and the majority of maps labels are in Arabic. All settings are set to English.

Please advise how to rectify this?
New Contributor
My Device: z10

I got my Z10 a week ago and found the map in arabic though language settings are in English. I handed over my Z10 to Blackberry outlet in Dubai mall last week, which according to them is the only authorized BB customer contact centre in Middle East .They did not have a solution as of now.................it is frustrating that Blackeberry website does not have an email for customers to write to !! If any Balckberry customer service person is reading this post, please give us directions as to how to resolve this issue.

New Contributor
My Carrier: Du

I live in Dubai and purchased my Z10 there. My service provider is Du.

I am English-speaking and have only the English language installed on my phone. Recently Maps started displaying everything in Arabic script and speaking street names in Arabic. All of the route guidance however, is in English.

There is no option to set everything back to English. Do I have to say that this is stupid?

Should i expect Maps to suddenly speak Russian when I travel there, and have no idea what it's saying, with everything in Cyrillic script?

I expect a fix. This is an annoying issue and an incredible oversight from BlackBerry developers, it is a disservice to customers.

New Contributor
My Device: z10

I got the Z10 back with BB acknowledging that this is an issue with their latest software. They hope to fix it with next firmware update 10.2 expected to release in September.

It is definitely disservice to customers and I am surprised the AXIOM outlets and BB experts there have not been trained to give clear direction to customer........come on BB admit when you have a problem !! Softwares are bound to have issues but please do let customers know so we don’t have to run around and waste our time or rather switch to other brands !