Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® Z10

Contributor
My Device: BlackBerry Bold 9700
My Carrier: Vodafone UK

Re: bug list/feature observations for BB10 on Z10

Here is my list:

1.  when I try to search in "Calls" (i.e. in call log), the search won't return any results, even if I can definitely see a particular contact in the call log! Basically, the search function is completely not working in the call log.

2.  again in "Calls", when you switch between "All" and "Missed" views, often the space between entries gets distorted - so you end up with big unintented white space between entries - very poor attention to detail RIM!

3.  The "Calls" in Hub is different from the "Calls" that you enter from the home screen - in the latter you can see your speed dials and the All/Missed distinction - in the first one you can't! To me, "Calls" should be the same, regardless of where you access it from.

4.  when you want to correct your typing, you tap at the point of correct and a magnifying glass appears to allow you to move the cursor to the right position to make the correction. Now this becomes very tricky indeed if the word is on the just above the keyboard, which is pretty much always the case in BBM or Test Messages. Now if you want to see where the cursor is moving you need to tap and hold at the bottom of the magnifying glass, but this means you start pressing the letters on the keyboard. And while you're doing this, the keyboard suddenly disappears and then reappears - gets very flimsy! I got so annoyed, I deleted the whole message and started again rather than continue with the agony of correcting!!!

5. e-mail had always been your strongest point, and what do you do - you f*** it up! - before I used to be able to set filters from BIS, so I wouldn't get all the marketing e-mails to my phone, especially when I'm roaming. Also, I used to be able to assign an automated BCC address so all the e-mails I sent from my BB were sent to my Gmail address for archiving, now that's gone too. BB e-mail offering is now bog standard - no features and nothing to distinguish it from competitors out there.

There are plenty more and I'll post others later.

To be honest, as a very dedicated BlackBerry fan, I have to say I'm hearbroken and very disappointed. RIM - after taking a battering for several years and trying to make a big come back with Z10, this is the best you can offer - a phone full of bugs!!! Really? - you could afford making such mistakes in the past, but you knew this time it was your make or brake chance and for a lot of loyal BB fans, this was the last chance you had in retaining them and for now it seems like you blew it!

Highlighted
Contributor
My Device: Z10, Playbook
My Carrier: Rogers

Issues I've encounted not noted above:

- POP3 accounts and all messages set as "read" when pulled from provider server whether open or not.  I understand that switch to IMAP would solve this issue however that's not possible on Rogers since I can't create an identical IMAP account after disability the POP3

- Ispeech translator - tap and hold microphone on keypad to activate voice recognition is directly above the "Done" key on the next screen so you end up in loop that you can never use voice recognition because it immediately thinks you are "Done" and discontinues

- data services shut off randomly.  Have to go into Mobile Network and slide the data services to "off" and back to "on" to reestablish data services.

- randomly forgets my passwords for most email accounts after shutting the power off

- randomly resets my custom ringtone to system ringtone

- zooming in on email to read (without putting on my glasses) takes me back to the Hub when I move to the left to read the start of the next line

- put the suggested text somewhere other than the spacebar on the keyboard.

Contributor

another one - in OS 7 I used to be able to switch off BBM updates, but with BB 10 RIM decided to remove this!

I use BBM a lot and love it, but hate getting updates when my contacts change their photos or profile messages! Why on earth did you decide to remove the ability to switch off updates?

Many might thinks this is a trivial point but it also has cost/battery implications. When I travel abroad, I use roaming, and use my BBM, but hate being charged an arm and a leg for stupid updates that I don't need!
Forums Advisor III
My Device: Z10

anar_baku wrote:

Here is my list:

Hi abar_baku, see below for what I can answer. Smiley Happy

1.  when I try to search in "Calls" (i.e. in call log), the search won't return any results, even if I can definitely see a particular contact in the call log! Basically, the search function is completely not working in the call log.

Search within the telephone does seem to need a lot of work (and Blackberry is very aware of this), until it is fixed I recommend using the universal search from the home page (magnifing glass at the bottom centre.) Works every time, click on the contact and you will have all of the options to contact them - telephone #s, emails, bbm, etc. Smiley Happy

2.  again in "Calls", when you switch between "All" and "Missed" views, often the space between entries gets distorted - so you end up with big unintented white space between entries - very poor attention to detail RIM!

3.  The "Calls" in Hub is different from the "Calls" that you enter from the home screen - in the latter you can see your speed dials and the All/Missed distinction - in the first one you can't! To me, "Calls" should be the same, regardless of where you access it from.

4.  when you want to correct your typing, you tap at the point of correct and a magnifying glass appears to allow you to move the cursor to the right position to make the correction. Now this becomes very tricky indeed if the word is on the just above the keyboard, which is pretty much always the case in BBM or Test Messages. Now if you want to see where the cursor is moving you need to tap and hold at the bottom of the magnifying glass, but this means you start pressing the letters on the keyboard. And while you're doing this, the keyboard suddenly disappears and then reappears - gets very flimsy! I got so annoyed, I deleted the whole message and started again rather than continue with the agony of correcting!!!

If you only miss your selection, you can 'nudge' the magnified cursor along in the direction of your chosing buy simply tapping it in the direction you wish to go. For example, you tap to select and miss by two letters to the left, simply tap the magnifier's circle on the right side and it will move one space right for each tap on that side. Works for left, right, up and down. Smiley Happy I find this much more accurate and efficient than dragging it around, unless I miss by a mile and then I just select again.

5. e-mail had always been your strongest point, and what do you do - you f*** it up! - before I used to be able to set filters from BIS, so I wouldn't get all the marketing e-mails to my phone, especially when I'm roaming. Also, I used to be able to assign an automated BCC address so all the e-mails I sent from my BB were sent to my Gmail address for archiving, now that's gone too. BB e-mail offering is now bog standard - no features and nothing to distinguish it from competitors out there.

BIS will be missed by all, but I don' think we'll see it back again. I do look forward to many upgrades to the way that email works on BB10, I'm sure we'll see some of this advanced capability come back. Depending on your email server, you could turn on the anti-spam filtering right on your server, and have it mark suspected SPAM emails "***SPAM*** Subject" and then filter it to a folder right on the server. This has the added benefit of being filtered on all clients at once. Smiley Happy

If you are using IMAP you should be seeing your sent items go directly onto the email server in the "Sent" folder, it's happening on mine. Smiley Happy

There are plenty more and I'll post others later.

To be honest, as a very dedicated BlackBerry fan, I have to say I'm hearbroken and very disappointed. RIM - after taking a battering for several years and trying to make a big come back with Z10, this is the best you can offer - a phone full of bugs!!! Really? - you could afford making such mistakes in the past, but you knew this time it was your make or brake chance and for a lot of loyal BB fans, this was the last chance you had in retaining them and for now it seems like you blew it!

There certainly are no shortage of bugs, but for a v1.0 OS it is actually pretty darned stable. Some of the things that seem like bugs are simply things that we need to find another way to do, a new 'workflow' to go with our "Blackberry Flow' if you like. Smiley Happy

-: DrewRead :-
Can't find an app on Blackberry World yet? Tweet the developer and ask when they will #GetWithBB10 !!
"Like it" if you like it. Smiley Happy
Contributor

drewread wrote:

Search within the telephone does seem to need a lot of work (and Blackberry is very aware of this), until it is fixed I recommend using the universal search from the home page (magnifing glass at the bottom centre.) Works every time, click on the contact and you will have all of the options to contact them - telephone #s, emails, bbm, etc. Smiley Happy 

@drewread, thanks for your responses, but a search in universal search doesn't seem to find any entries from the "Calls" either, so this doesn't work.

And your suggestion regarding filtering e-mails doesn't work for me either. The e-mails that I don't want to receive in my BB are not SPAM, rather marketing e-mails that I may decide to read on my PC, but don't want them to arrive in my BB inbox. With regards to sent e-mails being saved in the server, the problem is I have migrated my own domain to Gmail and sent e-mails sent from my BB don't appear in Gmail mailbox. Auto-BCC would take care of this, but RIM decided to remove it!

And on your observation that for a v1.0, the OS is darn stable - I would very much disagree. It's all relatively speaking. I may have agreed with you 5 years ago, but given how much RIM had riding on the success of Z10, given they delayed the release by few months, given they had plenty of time to test and retest this, the end result is not very good.

Contributor

Another bug I have come across quite few times - I launch the native Calculator app, but none of the buttons on the calculator work. I have to quit and restart again for it to work. Another nice touch from RIM.
Forums Advisor III

[ Edited ]

anar_baku wrote:

@drewread, thanks for your responses, but a search in universal search doesn't seem to find any entries from the "Calls" either, so this doesn't work.

And your suggestion regarding filtering e-mails doesn't work for me either. The e-mails that I don't want to receive in my BB are not SPAM, rather marketing e-mails that I may decide to read on my PC, but don't want them to arrive in my BB inbox. With regards to sent e-mails being saved in the server, the problem is I have migrated my own domain to Gmail and sent e-mails sent from my BB don't appear in Gmail mailbox. Auto-BCC would take care of this, but RIM decided to remove it!

And on your observation that for a v1.0, the OS is darn stable - I would very much disagree. It's all relatively speaking. I may have agreed with you 5 years ago, but given how much RIM had riding on the success of Z10, given they delayed the release by few months, given they had plenty of time to test and retest this, the end result is not very good.

No worries anar_baku Smiley Happy I didn't fully understand your "Calls" question, you had me distracted and looking in the telephone app because of the way it was worded. Smiley Wink It is indeed puzzling that it does not search for anything in the Hub's Calls section (not for contact names, companies or numbers), There doesn't seem to be any search in the recent calls area.

This allows me to chime in on #3 though, now that I understand a bit better what your meaning is. Smiley Happy

"3.  The "Calls" in Hub is different from the "Calls" that you enter from the home screen - in the latter you can see your speed dials and the All/Missed distinction - in the first one you can't! To me, "Calls" should be the same, regardless of where you access it from."

The Hub is for a quick look at what is happening in your various 'connections to the world', be it the phone, Twitter, email, BBM, etc. It really is designed to give you a shortcut into what is currently happening in your "connected life." With this reasoning behind the Hub I can see what there isn't a whole pile of other things in there, yet, knowing you have missed a call is immediately important (thus the hub integration), and you do want to be able to quickly peek at that if you were working on something else.  Chosing a phone number and making a call is something you decide to do and you go into the phone app to do that, I guess that's why the quick dials are there.

It certainly does have lots of room for improvement though! I'd love to see the option for only missed calls i the hub and pointing out the quick dials, it would be cool if there was a quick dial button in the hub that would pop up your quick dials and let you do that from there. Maybe that is something that should be in a feature suggestion type of thread instead of a bug list though. Smiley Happy

To each his own on the stability thing, there are some bugs out there, and some of them are bad.. I just (knock on wood!) haven't run into any that I couldn't overcome. <wink>

Your calculator bug is an odd one.. I haven't used it a lot, but everytime I have it has worked. If you continue to have issues with I recommend calling in to your carrier for support on that one, might be a bug nobody else has found yet.

-: DrewRead :-
Can't find an app on Blackberry World yet? Tweet the developer and ask when they will #GetWithBB10 !!
"Like it" if you like it. Smiley Happy
Regular Contributor
My Device: Tour 9630

[ Edited ]

Create private folders in Pictures, Music and Videos

Select All menu option in Pictures, Music, Videos and File Manager

Ability to sort Accounts in Hub (manually, alphabetically, most used, most unread messages)

Stop the keyboard from popping up when tapping on a name in BBM (this happens in other HUB accounts as well). Sometimes I just want to view the conversation not send a message. If I want to chat, I can tap on the enter a message field.

Ability to rename Other in Contacts. Seriously, how can something like Other be allowed in this day and age.

When double-tapping SPACEBAR on keyboard, it will add a period. Would be cool if you were asking a question (Did, who, how, where, what, when, will, etc) that BB10 adds a question mark when you double tap spacebar.

My Carrier: EE

I've found that if sometimes you use the restart button, the phone doesnt turn back on. You have to pull the battery out and re-insert it. Also i've also had a problem with, when the phone is locked and you swipe up, the keyboard doesnt appear which intails another battery pull to get the phone working again.

Also i've noticed i randomly get No Voice Service, while texts and data works, cant call.

Data sometimes switches it self off, another battery pull as within settings wont allow me to turn off and back on.

These need to be sorted, as i am considering moving to another OS, i have an iOS but have always been with Blackberry, but i think its time for a change.

- Gaff

Contributor

I have also had the problem of the absent keyboard when swiping the phone out of standby. I even tried to manually make bring up the keyboard using the two-finger swipe, but didn't work, so had to resort to the battery pull.

Another more annoying feature - I call someone, and then the active call window is not accessible, so I can't end the call, ended up leaving a long silent voicemail to a professional contact of mine, which didn't reflect well. I had to resort to the battery pull again...