Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® Z10

My Device: Z10
My Carrier: Rogers

corrupt sms database after restore on Z10

Hello, i am brand new to this forum.  I have been using BB for many years and recently upgraded to the Z10.  My first phone was experiencing very poor battery life and running very hot (which i have seen posts on here as well) so my provider agreed to replace the phone.  Upon doing a device switch, my SMS data was somehow corrupetd, and i cannot delete several messages, not do those message display correctly (either incorrect contact or incorrect text body) as well if i recieve any new texts from those contacts with corrupt messages, when i open the new message i cannot view the latest text, i simply get the existing body reloaded.

So, my question finally, how can i wipe the entire sms database on my Z10 without affecting any other data on the phone?  I have no need to keep any of the messages in there, so a clean start is fine. 

I have tried to restore to the latest backup on Link, but cannot find the option to exclude the SMS DB from the restore.

Thanks in advance for the help.

Michael.

Contributor
My Device: BBZ10
My Carrier: Bell

Re: corrupt sms database after restore on Z10

Hi Michael,

I had the same problem yesterday and made a post detialing the issue. 

I'm going to try to do another backup, wipe and restore and hopefully the issue will be resolved. 

I CAN tell you that when i fist got my z10 the day it launched in Canada, I transferred all my data from the torch i was using, and the Z10 seemed to be processing the old text messages for about an hour or two once that transfer was complete. The processing of the messages ate up the battery pretty quickly and made the phone hot enough to fry an egg on, but once complete everything displayed fine. 

I'll let you know the results of my current backup and restore once completed. 

Cheers

Solutions: 6,348
My Device: Passport • Z30 • Z10 • Torch9850 • Playbook
My Carrier: Verizon

Get the app Battery guru and measure the actual device temperature. I'll bet you'll be surprised how hot it is not.
>> NEW! 10% discount on BlackBerry devices from ShopBlackBerry.com, including PRIV

1. If any post helps you please click the Like Button below the post(s) that helped you.
2. Please resolve your thread by marking the post "Solution?" which solved it for you!
3. Install free BlackBerry Protect today for backups of contacts and data.
4. Guide to Unlocking your BlackBerry & Unlock Codes
Join our BBM Channels (Beta)
BlackBerry Support Forums Channel
PIN: C0001B7B4   Display/Scan Bar Code
Knowledge Base Updates
PIN: C0005A9AA   Display/Scan Bar Code
Contributor
My Device: BBZ10
My Carrier: Bell

Still no luck after a second backup and restore. If you check the link I posted above, youll see that I have had a reply from what I think is an admin. I would recommend detailing your issue again in that thread and maybe we can get a resolution as quickly as possible.
Highlighted
New Developer
My Carrier: Fido

I am in the EXACT same boat.

Thing is it happened out of the blue. Was texting someone, then 10 minutes later no more text messages. If there was a way to delete the SMS database I would be SUPER HAPPY!
Solutions: 6,348
My Device: Passport • Z30 • Z10 • Torch9850 • Playbook
My Carrier: Verizon

I don't know how to delete the entire SMS database at once, other than by simply deleting all of the SMS messages at one time from your SMS message listing. At the top of your SMS messages, touch and hold on the today's date bar, and in the right side popup menu, choose Delete all prior.

if you have a large SMS message database, I would suggest you only a do a couple weeks at a time, delete and then delete a few more weeks worth.

>> NEW! 10% discount on BlackBerry devices from ShopBlackBerry.com, including PRIV

1. If any post helps you please click the Like Button below the post(s) that helped you.
2. Please resolve your thread by marking the post "Solution?" which solved it for you!
3. Install free BlackBerry Protect today for backups of contacts and data.
4. Guide to Unlocking your BlackBerry & Unlock Codes
Join our BBM Channels (Beta)
BlackBerry Support Forums Channel
PIN: C0001B7B4   Display/Scan Bar Code
Knowledge Base Updates
PIN: C0005A9AA   Display/Scan Bar Code
New Developer
My Carrier: Fido

[ Edited ]

Unfortunately this won't work, because the DB is corrupted and pretty much unaccessible.  When you try deleting a text message it does nothing, the message sits there.  If you click on a message it hangs and the phone gets super hot.

The solution I came up with was on my own, and cost $1.99

Backup your phone using Blackberry Link

Backup your contacts using a $1.99 app called 'Contact X'

Wipe your phone / grab the latest build

Restore your phone EXCEPT 'Settings' using Blackberry Link

Now you have pretty much everything except settings, contacts and text messages,account information.

Import contacts using Contact X

Setup accounts -> will get all your e-mail and Facebook / LinkedIn messages back don't worry when sync'd

Re-link your contacts to your various accounts

BACKUP!!!

ACTIVATE BB PROTECT!!  Not sure why I didn't do this in the first place...restore to a previous day and lose contacts from the night before

voila, your phone is 'as good as new' ***except missing text messages and I think maybe BBM messages, but I don't save them anyway

Blackberry needs to look at their old Legacy backup and recovery for hints on a proper process to backup and recovery