Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® Z10

New Contributor
My Device: BlackBerry Z10 STL100-2 Software 10.2.1.2977
My Carrier: Tesco

renaming music tracks in library on Z10 has no effect on name

2 questions:

1: Why does the music player / library not turn width ways like all other functions like browser etc? I'd this my phone or standard?

2: Why does the library not update file name changes?

I have a set of educational CD's copied onto my phone. The names of the CD's and tracks were so long it was impossible to distinguish CD 1 from CD2 etc.
I renamed all the CD'S to short names, they show as short names in file manager.
I moved them from device to memory card, removed the card, checked they no longer existed in the library.
I deleted all play lists - they seemed to instantly resplendent as unknown.
I replaced the card and copied moved them back to the device.
I opened the library and the long title is back.
Please help.
New Contributor

Re: renaming music tracks in library on Z10 has no effect on name

Device is BlackBerry Z10.
Model is STL100-2
Software is 10.2.1.2977
Community Manager
Community Manager
My Device: PRIV
My Carrier: Koodo

If your MP3 files contain ID3 information the Music app will read this information, aka metadata instead of using the file names since it contains more detail. For example, this is what allows your device to identify songs, artists, albums etc.  

To edit ID3 details you have several options, you can do it on your device, or using your computer. 

To edit on device, search BlackBerry World for 'ID3' and several apps will appear.

Since i use Windows at home, my preferred ID3 editing software is Mp3tag.

For Mac, you may want to search the App Store and see what ID3 software is offered. 

After updating the ID3 details, copy the music back to your device (or close and re-open the Music app if you edited the details on your device using ID3 software from BlackBerry World) and let me know if things are good :smileyhappy: 

I hope this helps!

Did you know that PRIV & the DTEK50 come with 12 months of free, complimentary support?

PRIV: Call 1-866-533-8067 (Canada\USA), or 0800-141-3330 (UK)

DTEK50: Call 1-855-556-2522 (Canada\USA), or 0800-141-3330 (UK)

Follow me on Twitter and subscribe to the Inside BlackBerry Help Blog

New Contributor

Thanks. While I work through this, assuming my files have I D tags and guessing I have to rename over 200 files for just one course, I am wondering why, when you evidently are able to answer this question, you did not do so when moving it to a new location? How long would I have had to wait if I had not messaged you directly?
Again, thanks for your help, cannot the developers be requested to add a 'do not use ID tags' option to the library?
Highlighted
Community Manager
Community Manager
My Device: PRIV
My Carrier: Koodo

Renaming ID3 files is pretty easy and quick - if you like organizing stuff like me you'll love editing these details because you can really customize things to appear just the way you like.

For example, I like being able to import my cover art into my MP3 files so whatever device I am using to listen to my music\audiobooks I always have nice artwork displayed. 

As per responding, this is a peer to peer community but I will jump in whenever possible to help out when I have free time. Thanks. 

Did you know that PRIV & the DTEK50 come with 12 months of free, complimentary support?

PRIV: Call 1-866-533-8067 (Canada\USA), or 0800-141-3330 (UK)

DTEK50: Call 1-855-556-2522 (Canada\USA), or 0800-141-3330 (UK)

Follow me on Twitter and subscribe to the Inside BlackBerry Help Blog