Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® Z10

Contributor
My Device: Blackberry Z30
My Carrier: Telus

unable to set up IMAP work email

I've input the correct addresses, ports, encryption settings, etc and I can only get back: "the server is not responding"

Very frustrated, as my previous 4 blackberries could all be set up simply by inputting my username and password.

I really like my new phone but without email it is useless to me. I talked to Rogers tech support and they were unable to help. My IT guy doesn't have any suggestions and just says "we don't administer outside devices, talk to your wireless provider".

It's too late to return my phone so unless I can get the email running I think I might have to put it on ebay or something.

Does anyone have any suggestions?

Forums Advisor III
My Device: Torch, Bold, Play Book, and Bluetooth HS-700
My Carrier: BELL

Re: unable to set up IMAP work email

Most likely it is a firewall issue with the servers where you work.  If it is a big company, they may have done some security measures and the local IT people are not aware of this. It is not the first time I've seen this.

I would set up the local email rules in your office software to do a forward of all your incoming emails to a Gmail or some other address. Then you can IMAP or POP the email with your phone. This is actually a more secure way to handle this for both you and the company.

Jerry G.
Guru II
My Device: BlackBerry PRIV; BlackBerry Z30, Z10 and Q10 w/OS 10.3.2.2639; PlayBook w/OS 2.1.0.1917
My Carrier: AT&T

How do you know your company supports IMAP? The old BlackBerry didn't connect to your work email via IMAP. I cannot connect to my company email via IMAP but rather have to use ActiveSync or BES. No IMAP. Your IT should be able to tell you the settings to use, if they will allow it all. The fact that your IT won't tell you is a problem with them, not the BlackBerry. You should be able to use the exact same settings that any iPhone/iPad uses.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
1. Please thank those who help you by clicking the "Like" button at the bottom of the post that helped you.
2. If your issue has been solved, please resolve it by marking the post "Solution?" which solved it for you!
Contributor

He did actually say to connect through imap. I also tried through activsync and a couple other methods and i still can't get a response from the server 

Contributor

Our it manager has advised that the new blackberry is not compatible with our company email. I'm gutted... i was really enjoying this phone. i have to try to sell it because it's too late to give it back 

Guru II
My Device: BlackBerry PRIV; BlackBerry Z30, Z10 and Q10 w/OS 10.3.2.2639; PlayBook w/OS 2.1.0.1917

The Z10 will connect to all the same email systems that the iPhone, Android and other devices will connect to. What devices do they support?

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
1. Please thank those who help you by clicking the "Like" button at the bottom of the post that helped you.
2. If your issue has been solved, please resolve it by marking the post "Solution?" which solved it for you!
Contributor

Iphones and android devices will connect but the z10 will not. Our network won't respond to it. I'm able to read and respond to my work emails using k9 mail but the phone will not communicate with the network 

Guru II

The Z10 uses the exact same protocols that the iPhone and Android use. If it won't connect it's because they have whitelisted only certain device types to connect. They can allow it to work if they want to.

Contributor

I’ve got my email working but with one bug:

The outgoing server is attaching a spam warning to my message subjects.

To get it working we used port 143 for incoming with encryption off. For SMTP we used the home server, port 25, and encryption set to STLS. That was when it finally connected. When we tried to connect it with the smtp encryption turned to OFF, the server would reject it.

Once we connected with the STLS encryption enabled we went back in to the settings and turned the encryption back off and it still worked. But the spam label is still being attached.

My Device: Blackberry Z10
My Carrier: Globe Telecoms

Hi :

I need some help.  I was able to finally load our office email on my Z10.  I am now able to get the outgoing to work (turned the enryption off) but still not able to get the inoming mail to come in.  I tried to turn the enryption on and off, placed an INBOX on the path, and even changed the port from 143 to blank.

Have already consulted both our IT and my service provider and they can't give me an answer other than it should be enrolled in the BES (which by the way is not comaptible to the phone).

Need help on how to get the incoming mail to work.

Thanks.

Jon Jon