Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® Z10

My Device: Z10
My Carrier: base

wifi fail

Recently acquired a Z10, quite impressive, though unable to connect to home wifi. No problems connecting at work.

I have tried a lot of suggestions - including from this forum, nothing helps.

so: home wifi through dLan AV Wireless N adapter, works perfectly for 2macbooks, iphone and tablets, but not for the Z10. Even noting down all info (DNS, gateways et al) does not function - it seems to make a connection to the wifi network, but somewhere right after recieving an IP it falls down.

The log does not note any DNS or gateway, but the HUB signals a wifi with limited connectivity (which is demonstrably untrue as all the other devices work and connect fine).

i have already tried: rebooting, changing wifi settings (WEP or even without encryption) turned of MAC control, with or without auto-ip setting, ....

any help would be enormousl appreciated!

Elite II
My Device: BlackBerry Z30
My Carrier: Rogers

Re: wifi fail

I can't add any other steps to those already taken by you; it appears you know what you're doing and it just isn't coming together this time.  You might want to take your phone back to your carrier and ask them to connect to their Wi-Fi.  If it connects, ask them to support your issue by giving you instructions on what you're doing wrong.  If it doesn't connect, you'd like a new phone because it doesn't connect.

Cheers.  Smiley Happy

- If my response has helped you, please click "Options" beside my post and mark it as solved. Clicking the "thumbs up" icon near the bottom of my response would also be appreciated.

Forums Advisor III
My Device: Torch, Bold, Play Book, and Bluetooth HS-700
My Carrier: BELL

Re: wifi fail

With your WiFi, it is best to use "a" or "g" with most devices.  I found many of them are more critical with "n".  The "b" is the least critical, but if your connection is faster than 11 mb/sec with "b" you will be limited to 11 mb/sec. The other two mentioned can reach speeds of 54 mb/sec under ideal conditions.

As for IP numbers it is best to use automatic especially in a home or small business. If you start using fixed IP addresses it can get complicated for the home user, because this will require proper IP management, and using gateways for accessing the Internet.

I am using a Cesco router with WiFi. I am using type "b" WEP. For added security I am using MAC address filtering. MAC address filtering is a bit complicated, because a filter table is required, which consists of all the MAC addresses of the devices allowed to use the WiFi system. On top of this there is the password with many characters. I made the password in HEX code rather than in regular naming or using words. The idea is if someone was able to hack the password, they would have to simulate an allowed MAC address which is complicated to remotely work out.

I have no issues with any of the phones or wireless devices that log in to my WiFi. This includes my TV system, DVD player, laptops, and etc.

Jerry G.