Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® Z10

Highlighted
Contributor
My Device: Curve, Bold, z10, PRIV
My Carrier: EE (Formally T-Mobile)
Accepted Solution

z10 Auto Correct

Is there a way to turn off the stupid autocorrect? When you spell a word in the spacebar it trys and correct you, when the correction is wrong anyway.

I've tried going to keyboard setting but it still tries and corrects me. 

@brianmartinuk
New Contributor
My Device: z10
My Carrier: tbaytel

Re: z10 Auto Correct

To turn off auto correct, Swipe down from top of screen, tap settings, Select "Language and input", scroll down to "Automated Assistance", Turn off auto correction.  

But, another thing you can do, If you have auto correction on, and a word is on the spacebar that you don't want,  Look just above the spacebar.  You will notice what you have entered is just above the spacebar  (just like words that it thinks you might want to type appear above the next letter)   If you touch the word and swipe up on the keyboard, it will keep what you entered and add a space so you can continue typing.

Regular Contributor
My Device: BB ZED 10
My Carrier: Fido

Like he said. Smiley Happy
Smile, it makes people wonder what you are up to. Smiley Happy
Contributor
My Device: Curve, Bold, z10, PRIV
My Carrier: EE (Formally T-Mobile)

Thank you very much Smiley Happy

@brianmartinuk
Forums Advisor III
My Device: Z10
My Carrier: Rogers

You need to become your keyboards master.. don't let it tell you what to type. It is an important part of training your phone. Smiley Happy

-: DrewRead :-
Can't find an app on Blackberry World yet? Tweet the developer and ask when they will #GetWithBB10 !!
"Like it" if you like it. Smiley Happy
New Contributor
My Device: BlackBerry Z10
My Carrier: Rogers

It shouldn't be necessary to train it to accept words that are typed correctly. It regularly makes substitutions for correctly spelled words which is just idiotic. Users shouldn't be responsible for findimg workarouds for poorly implemented features, BlackBerry should be fixing this.

Forums Advisor III
My Device: Samsung Galaxy S2, Samsung Galaxy S3, Samsung Galaxy Note 4, BlackBerry Torch 9800, BlackBerry Z10, Blackberry Z30, BlackBerry Priv
My Carrier: Fido

gairs wrote:

It shouldn't be necessary to train it to accept words that are typed correctly. It regularly makes substitutions for correctly spelled words which is just idiotic. Users shouldn't be responsible for findimg workarouds for poorly implemented features, BlackBerry should be fixing this.

As much as we may like it to be, Blackberry is not an Artificial intelligence...yet. That being said, the Blackberry keyboard has the capability to learn and predict the words you may use next in your sentence. Even if the word that appears on the spacebar may not be the right one, just look across the keyboard and select the one you want to use in your sentence.

This is not a "workaround".... its part of you understanding how it works so you can teach it what you want it to do.