Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® Z10

New Contributor
My Device: z10
My Carrier: be

z10 bluetooth chip and music streaming

does anyone know what bluetooth chip (i.e. brand and model) we have in the z10?

I have a bluetooth 2.0 receiver in my car which i use to stream music to car amp, and when i pair my z10 with it, the sound quality is quite dreadful. compared it with my iphone 4, and noticed the difference in sound quality immediately. I think it's because of the low energy protocol in z10 and wanted to know if the bluetooth chip in z10 supports only low energy or is backward compatible with older non LE protocols.

Trusted Contributor
My Device: Z-10
My Carrier: T-Mobile

Re: z10 bluetooth chip and music streaming

I doubt that's the problem -- I can maintain a link from my DRIVEWAY into the house, which is outrageously better than any of the other phones I've used.

Market Information? Come read The Market Ticker!
New Contributor
My Device: z10
My Carrier: be

no offense but you fail to understand the problem here. it has nothing to do with maintaining the link per se, or the range. bluetooth is a form of digital communications, and your sound quality should be the same as long as the link is established. the sound quality that i mentioned is not much of choppiness, which you could still get with bluetooth, but rather from lowered bit rate. have you listened to 32kbps mp3's? they sound much worse than 128kbps ones. bluetooth low energy transmits data with much lower bit rate so i think it's playing a factor in sound quality degradation.
Highlighted
Trusted Contributor
My Device: Z-10
My Carrier: T-Mobile

I strongly doubt that you're running into what you think you are in this regard; Bluetooth "low energy" mode is used to talk to devices with extremely-limited power profiles and has a data bandwidth of only ~100kbps or so .vs. 2Mbps or thereabouts for the standard technology.

Support of a device that uses this mode doesn't imply that the device cannot run in standard power consumtion.  The primary 4.x enhancement that does apply to all devices with this capability is that their standby (not actually communicating data) power consumption is much lower than would otherwise be the case; this is part of what helps the Z-10 get the battery life it enjoys even through Bluetooth is left enabled.

I do not know which chipset is in the Z-10, but I am familiar with the spec sheet that Broadcom has out on the 20702, and nothing in there implies (or states) that it will damage A2DP performance in this sort of fashion.

I do wonder if your car is connecting on the headset profile instead of the A2DP one; THAT would produce a material degredation of quality (very noticeable!) but it shouldn't happen for streaming audio, only for voice call routing.

I have several A2DP capable devices including a pair of over-the-ear headphones, a small "clip" style Bluetooth receiver that enables A2DP capability for any plug-in headphones and a Plantronics Legend headset; all play music from my Z-10 fine and the quality is far better with any of them than it is with my Galaxy series handsets under Android.

Market Information? Come read The Market Ticker!
My Device: Z10
My Carrier: EE

I'm having exactly the same issue. When synced with both my cars and a bose sound station the quality is noticeably poorer than other devices. Did you find a solution?