Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® Z30

New Contributor
My Device: 9800, 9300, Playbook, Z30
My Carrier: Telus

Can't get 4G on Z30 except at home

Had my Z30 one week and it seems to work well at home in Ottawa. I can connect with 4G/LTE and get about 3Mbps when I use it as a mobile hotspot. However when I take it down to the cottage (a little north of Brockville) I only get 3G and speeds even less than 0.5Mbps. My service provider is Telus and according to their map my cottage is in an area covered by 4G/HSPA+. In fact the poor connection was not just at the cottage. My wife monitored it driving home and it was only when we were within 40Kms of Ottawa that it switched to 4G. I'm now wondering if this is just a setting problem on the phone. I have Network Technology set to LTE/HSPA+/UMTS/GSM and Network Selection Mode to Automatic. I have not been able to find any information as to what these settings do. Can anyone enlighten me?

Developer
My Device: Playbook, Dev Alpha C, Z10 LE, Z30
My Carrier: Orange

Re: Can't get 4G on Z30 except at home

Don't believe everything you read it's in a Service Providers best interests to say they cover as many areas as they can get away with.  Signal reception quality is dependent on so may factors unfortunately so in all probability it's unlikely to be your phone from a settings point of view.

Do you have a different device to see if that can pick up 4G in that area?

If you've been helped click on Like Button, if you've been saved buy the app. Smiley Happy

Developer of stokLocker, Sympatico and Super Sentences.
Developer
My Device: Q5
My Carrier: Cosmote

As the friend said above it should not be the the phone since you have set it correctly it should be your provider
New Contributor

Yes, it does seem to be a service provider issue. If I select "manual" rather than "automatic" the phone searches for providers in range. All 3 (Bell, Telus and Rogers) appear as providing only UMTS coverage which as I understand it is 3G not 4G (contrary to what Telus' map would have you believe). My problem is that the location where I am trying to use my phone as a mobile hotspot is probably 7 Km from the closest tower with trees and hills in between. So that probably explains the spotty reception. I am now investigating signal boosters and have my eye on the Wilson Sleek Cradle unit which Costco sells for less than $100. In order to use it inside a building I would have to purchase the optional AC adapter but if it works it would be worth the expense. Does anyone have an experience with using one of these in conjunction with Telus and a Z30?

Developer
My Device: Playbook, Dev Alpha C, Z10 LE, Z30
My Carrier: Orange

You might get more of a response if you pose this new question in it's own thread.

If you've been helped click on Like Button, if you've been saved buy the app. Smiley Happy

Developer of stokLocker, Sympatico and Super Sentences.
New Contributor

The signal booster did the trick! I now get a perfectly acceptable connection via wifi to my Z30 hotspot and from there via the signal booster to Telus. Now my problem is staying within my 1Gig per month data limit!