Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® Z30

Highlighted
Trusted Contributor
My Device: BB Bold>Playbook>Z30
My Carrier: Verizon

Info on switching from a older BB to a Z30

Fyi...The Z30 comes loaded with "BB Protect" app, but it no longer backs up contacts calendar, or contact group emails. It is basically only a locator app in case u lose ur phone. Sad, cuz It always backed up my data on the BB server, not just on the Desktop Manager, which isn't as safe as a cloud backup.....HOWEVER, u can use "Protect" one more time, and that's when ur setting up ur Z30 for the first time. At that time u can go to "Protect" and hit Restore. That will bring ur contacts, and more importantly, your contact groups over from ur Bold (in my case) to ur Z30. That's big for me cuz I have 100's of contacts in email groups, and as yet, there is no way to restore contacts groups, like BB Protect always did on the legacy BB's....just wanted to pass this on to anyone concerned about losing their groups...oops, one more thing. Until an update comes out, there is no way to send email groups on a Z30...so u can download SMSbyNow app to create and send group emails from a Z30. It's a great app. Btw, if anyone knows of a way or an app to backup and restore contact groups, please pass it on...please!

Forums Veteran I
My Device: BlackBerry Passport SIlver Edition (OS10.3.2876)
My Carrier: Movilnet

Re: Info on switching from a older BB to a Z30

Hi BillyHandorf

The BlackBerry Protect application on BB10 is a system integration.

To restore and supports it with blackberry information link.

I backup my contacts to the cloud with the application IntouchApp Contacts.

BBM Channels  PIN: C0007093A
Do not forget to give LIKE   Like Those people who help you and advise you about your doubts. Accept as Solution
Trusted Contributor

I wonder if that app will backup and restore my contact group app with the contact groups I've loaded on it
Forums Veteran I
My Device: BlackBerry Passport SIlver Edition (OS10.3.2876)
My Carrier: Movilnet

I have not tested if you restore contacts groups ...

As far as contact groups are created with the OS10.2.1

BBM Channels  PIN: C0007093A
Do not forget to give LIKE   Like Those people who help you and advise you about your doubts. Accept as Solution
Trusted Contributor

That's interesting cuz RIM and VZW both are saying that contact groups are not a feature on the Z30, and I confirmed that yesterday afternnoon when I played with one at the Verizon store.....does your have the ability to create groups?

Forums Advisor III
My Device: Torch, Bold, Play Book, and Bluetooth HS-700
My Carrier: BELL

If you have a Windows computer using the Outlook software for email, you can use the Blackberry desktop manager to save (sync) all your email addresses to Outlook. You will have to set up the configuration of the desktop manager software to do this. 

With the new Blackberry Link softare you can configure the sync to copy all the addresses back from Outlook to the new Z30. 

Another way that has worked well for me, is to use a Hotmail account, which is now known as Outlook.com. Don't confuse this with the Outlook software for a PC. 

Set up the old phone to sync the addresses with the Hotmail account. If the phone is no longer on the mobile system, but can use WiFi, this is feasable. Once the phone is synced, all the addresses should be on Hotmail. This can take about an hour because of how Hotmail syncs.  

Now make your new Z30 synced with Hotmail. It will then download all the addresses that have been uploaded. 

The issue is if you change Blackberry phones, and the new phone is using a different Blackberry ID account transfers will be blocked. This has to do with their security.  It blocks someone else with a different phone from remotely getting your files even if they are using a Blackberry phone. 

Jerry G.
Guru III
My Device:

I'm rockin the BlackBerry PRIV, Passport, Z30, Z10, Q10, BlackBerry Mini Stereo Speaker, 64 gig PlayBook,BT Headset HS-700

My Carrier: I am on AT&T. Please edit your Personal Profile with your DEVICE TYPE, DEVICE OS and Carrier

You could try

http://www.deviceswitch.com/

Click here to Backup the data on your BlackBerry Device! It's important, and FREE!

Click "Accept as Solution" if your problem is solved. To give thanks, click thumbs up
Click to search the Knowledge Base at BTSC and click to Read The Fabulous Manuals

BESAdmin's, please make a signature with your BES environment info.

SIM Free BlackBerry Unlocking FAQ
Follow me on Twitter @knottyrope

Want to thank me? Buy my KnottyRope App here

BES 12 and BES 5.0.4 with Exchange 2010 and SQL 2012 Hyper V

Trusted Contributor

Seems like there are at least 4 ways to transfer data, including contacts....but none of them include groups. Not even gmail. I reviewed ur suggestion, but it also only mentions contacts....guess I'll keep looking. Thanks for the suggestion!

Guru III
My Device:

I'm rockin the BlackBerry PRIV, Passport, Z30, Z10, Q10, BlackBerry Mini Stereo Speaker, 64 gig PlayBook,BT Headset HS-700

My Carrier: I am on AT&T. Please edit your Personal Profile with your DEVICE TYPE, DEVICE OS and Carrier

Groups I heard are coming in an update to the OS

Click here to Backup the data on your BlackBerry Device! It's important, and FREE!

Click "Accept as Solution" if your problem is solved. To give thanks, click thumbs up
Click to search the Knowledge Base at BTSC and click to Read The Fabulous Manuals

BESAdmin's, please make a signature with your BES environment info.

SIM Free BlackBerry Unlocking FAQ
Follow me on Twitter @knottyrope

Want to thank me? Buy my KnottyRope App here

BES 12 and BES 5.0.4 with Exchange 2010 and SQL 2012 Hyper V