Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® Z30

Highlighted
Contributor
My Device: Blackberry Z30
My Carrier: Vodafone

Microsoft Calendar – BB Z30 Fix – Well it worked for me!

[ Edited ]

I am an avid MS Outlook user on my home PC and where I am based at work (I'm freelance). I chose my Z30 because I have owned BB’s before and they were excellent with synchronising to Outlook, but had strayed to Apple then Samsung but found my way back to BB because the calendars wouldn't work as I needed them! So think of what I felt when my brand shining new Z30, would no longer do what my previous BB’s did for breakfast! Since that fatal day I have literally tried every fix I could read from these and many other blogs, but to no avail. I was about to launch this Z30 out of an open window, when a light bulb inside my head suddenly got switched on.

Could MS Outlook.com be the answer? It was a similar plan to one I had already tried using my Easily,co.uk calendar with an Open exchange server (recommended and downloadable from Easily.co.uk), but one which had completely and utterly failed; and Easily.co.uk to my horror were less than useless in trying to resolve all the issues I had trying to employ this solution!

Anyway, I registered for a MS Outlook.com email account. I already have my own personal domain and email (let’s call this mydomain.co.uk) account with Easily.co.uk which I forwarded direct to my new outlook.com account. My initial fear was that by using Outlook.com all my emails would be addressed outlook.com. But MS in their infinite wisdom provide options to add email accounts and for the user to be able to promote your chosen one to be the default primary. So the first issue out of the way!

The next thing was to create a new email account in my MS Outlook using me@outlook.com via MS’s very own Exchange ActiveSync! All I had to do was to:

Goto E-mail Accounts; New; chose E-Mail Account; [Next]; then enter: Your Name; email address (me@outlook.com); password (my outlook.com password); retype password (as before); (Next) and away it goes and creates your new exchange account!

Now your new account includes your email, calendar and contacts!!! It will show up at the top of your folder list (left hand side) possible named me@outlook.com (or whatever your email address is). SIMPLES!

But here comes the tricky part, as much as you are attached to the safety of the bosom of your PST/IMAP outlook, it’s time to say goodbye and go out into the big wide world of exchange services! BUT FIRST LOCATE AND MAKE A BACKUP OF YOUR CURRENT PST or OST and ARCHIVE FILES. YOU HAVE BEEN WARNED.

Next is to delete your PST/IMAP email (NOT YOUR DATA FILES): WARNING Do not delete your data files if asked (as you will lose any emails contained in there)!!!!

Goto E-mail Accounts; highlight your pst or imap email account; chose [Remove]! You should be left at minimum with your new outlook.com account! Then go to the Data Files tab and you should see your new data file me@outlook.com and possibly your pst/imap data files! If you can’t see these and you wish to keep these in operation, you can add them by clicking add; then navigating to where your pst/ost file was and click on it. There it should be loaded and all your old folders should reappear, once again in the left hand folder list possibly named ‘Mailbox’ but whatever your pst/imap file was named.

Now as the calendar was my biggest issue, the thing you need to do now is make your new outlook.com calendar the primary (in fact I no longer use my pst version – it’s still there for prosperity but no longer used). I did a combination of copying the entries from old to new (do this by showing both calendars side by side and literally moving an event from old to new) however, for everything to sync properly I would recommend that you resend any work events from your work pc again (as not all behaved as expected when I originally copied them over) and any local events redo in the new calendar. I know it’s frustrating and ball-aching but the results will far outweigh this!

Now its time for the BB Z30! Goto Settings; accounts; [Add Account]; [Advanced} [outlook.com]; fill in the relevant blanks. If outlook.com does not appear on the advanced page, return to add account; enter your outlook.com email address; [Next]; enter your outlook.com password; [Next] and the email app should go away and find all the correct settings and that should be that, you should be set up with your new account.

Once it was all complete and I knew my emails were all working I deleted my old account. I then crossed my fingers, my toes and even my eyes, and went to calendar, ticked the show calendar box and there she was! Brilliant, I hear you say, but NO! Only a few of the events eventually started to show! Disaster and quite a few expletives burst from my mouth! I was extremely gutted!

However I decided to persevere and so the next day I sent myself a new invite from my work PC and it was delivered to my BB. I opened it and pressed [Accept] and it placed the invite exactly where it should. Success! I then altered my event on my work PC and sent an update and once again success, it was delivered and I accepted and it updated! I then cancelled the event on the PC, and received the cancel notice opened it and hit [Remove] and it did it! Absolutely brilliant and exactly what I needed it do! This type of thing isn't rocket science, but it had taken nearly 4 months to get here!!!!

So then I noticed one or two more events had appeared in my calendar! Strange or what and over the next few days they all turned up! So do be patient! Now my home PC calendar and my Z30 are in full sync, emails and calendar and even contacts!

All I will add is that this worked for me, I hope it works for you but I can’t accept any blame if it causes any of your pc’s or phones any harm, damage or loss of critical data. ALWAYS BACK THINGS UP FIRST! Good Luck!

Guru III
My Device:

I'm rockin the BlackBerry PRIV, Passport, Z30, Z10, Q10, BlackBerry Mini Stereo Speaker, 64 gig PlayBook,BT Headset HS-700

My Carrier: I am on AT&T. Please edit your Personal Profile with your DEVICE TYPE, DEVICE OS and Carrier

Re: Microsoft Calendar – BB Z30 Fix – Well it worked for me!

i have done similar for my wife, active sync with a smart phone works well with outlook.

Click here to Backup the data on your BlackBerry Device! It's important, and FREE!

Click "Accept as Solution" if your problem is solved. To give thanks, click thumbs up
Click to search the Knowledge Base at BTSC and click to Read The Fabulous Manuals

BESAdmin's, please make a signature with your BES environment info.

SIM Free BlackBerry Unlocking FAQ
Follow me on Twitter @knottyrope

Want to thank me? Buy my KnottyRope App here

BES 12 and BES 5.0.4 with Exchange 2010 and SQL 2012 Hyper V

Developer
My Device: Q5
My Carrier: Cosmote

Nice thanks for the info guys! May I ask is it only outlook that works? Smiley Happy have a wonderful day!
Guru III
My Device:

I'm rockin the BlackBerry PRIV, Passport, Z30, Z10, Q10, BlackBerry Mini Stereo Speaker, 64 gig PlayBook,BT Headset HS-700

My Carrier: I am on AT&T. Please edit your Personal Profile with your DEVICE TYPE, DEVICE OS and Carrier

vmisirlis wrote:
Nice thanks for the info guys! May I ask is it only outlook that works? Smiley Happy have a wonderful day!

other mail clients can work but you might not get all the features that outlook offers

Click here to Backup the data on your BlackBerry Device! It's important, and FREE!

Click "Accept as Solution" if your problem is solved. To give thanks, click thumbs up
Click to search the Knowledge Base at BTSC and click to Read The Fabulous Manuals

BESAdmin's, please make a signature with your BES environment info.

SIM Free BlackBerry Unlocking FAQ
Follow me on Twitter @knottyrope

Want to thank me? Buy my KnottyRope App here

BES 12 and BES 5.0.4 with Exchange 2010 and SQL 2012 Hyper V

Contributor
My Device: Blackberry Z30
My Carrier: Vodafone

I would suggest it would, but and the big but is that I needed the email address to reflect my personal domain name rather than a yahoo or Gmail etc one and I may be wrong, but outlook.com gave me that and also I have had no problems with receiving invites or changes to events or sending my own invites, whereas using other mail clients I did! Just my experience. Hope this helps.