Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® Z30

Highlighted
New Contributor
My Device: Torch
My Carrier: AT&T

Using an unlocked OS 10 phone with US carriers, connecting to Google Email and other apps

I am responsible for technology at two small companies. Some of our users are technology group users, some are office users, some are construction site users. Two years ago, we migrated our office email, calendar and similar applications to Google Apps for Business. We also switched from Blackberry Torch phones on AT&T to the Samsung Rugby (Android) phones on AT&T.

The primary reason for the phone switch was to simplify connectivity between the phone and desktop apps like email, contacts, calendar, etc. To use the Blackberry, we had to sync contacts and calendar through PCs. With the Android OS phones, calendar and contact updates are seamless. We also have the ability via Google drive to take photographs at construction sites and upload them immediately to a folder that is visible to seveal users.

The Samsung phones have several issues which our Blackberries did not. The Samsung screens are not visible in direct sunlight. The Blackberry torch screens are visible in direct sunlight.

The users that wear bluetooth headsets complain that the (Plantronics) headset disconnects from the phone during calls and they have difficulty reconnecting while on the call. Normally, they turn off the headset, pick up the phone and press the speaker icon. In the meantime, the caller has spoken several sentences which they did not hear.

We recently did a test with one of the Blackberry Torch phones and we have determined that the headsets work correctly with the Blackberry.

There is no question that Blackberry's are high quality phones. Had we been able to simplify the connectivity for our field users, we would have continued with Blackberry.

In the past, we've depneded on our wireless carrier to provide our telephones. They used to have knowledgable sales reps who could advise us, assist with customer service, etc. Now, our admin staff or myself must be phone experts as well as perform our other daily tasks.

I have been reading information on the Blackberry web site. I never knew about unlocked phones. I have spoken with a Blackberry customer service rep via telephone. While he was difficult to reach and even more difficult to understand, I believe that he said  that the unlocked Z10 and Z30 phones will operate on AT&T's network.

He could not advise me if the Blackberry 10 operating system would provide seamless integration with our Google Apps for Business.

The Android phones connect seamlessly because there are apps designed to make those phones operate seamlessly with Google. There is a Google Apps Device Policy app that registers the device with our Google apps. Before a new device can connect to Google Apps for Business, the device must be approved by our domain adminisrator (simple process). The app also allows the domain admin to block or remotely wipe the device if necessary.

There are apps that simplify the functionality of Google email, contacts, drive, calendar, etc. They, along with the device policy app, make the integration very seamless. For example, if a field user adds an appointment on their phone calendar, within seconds it appears in their desktop calendar as well as the desktop calendar of anyone invited. If they add a contact on their desktop, it appears in their phone. There is no need to connect the phone to the desktop, sync, etc.

I ask this forum, if we migrate back to Blackberry:

Can we expect similar applications, similar connectivity?

Will we be able to read the Z10 and Z30 screens in direct sunlight?

Will our Plantronics Voyager headsets remain connected to the phone during calls?

Solutions: 6,379
My Device: Passport • Z30 • Z10 • Torch9850 • Playbook
My Carrier: Verizon

Re: Using an unlocked OS 10 phone with US carriers, connecting to Google Email and other apps

brinehart wrote:

I ask this forum, if we migrate back to Blackberry:

Can we expect similar applications, similar connectivity?

Will we be able to read the Z10 and Z30 screens in direct sunlight?

Will our Plantronics Voyager headsets remain connected to the phone during calls?

Welcome to the Forum...

Quite honestly, google is making it difficult for anything other than Android device to use google services.

I have started using Outlook.com for over the air syncing of contacts and calendar, and I use Box.com and dropbox.com to seamlessly sync pictures and files with other users, direct from my Z30. Very simply.

The Z10 works better in direct sunlight. The Z30 lesser so due to the different screen technology, but I would encourage you to test that... the Z30 is just such a superior device.

I have not used Plantronics headsets in a few years. The BlackBerry HS700 headset I have is great, does not disconnect and has great clarirty and battery life.

1. If any post helps you please click the Like Button below the post(s) that helped you.
2. Please resolve your thread by marking the post "Solution?" which solved it for you!
3. Install free BlackBerry Protect today for backups of contacts and data.
4. Guide to Unlocking your BlackBerry & Unlock Codes
Join our BBM Channels (Beta)
BlackBerry Support Forums Channel
PIN: C0001B7B4   Display/Scan Bar Code
Knowledge Base Updates
PIN: C0005A9AA   Display/Scan Bar Code
New Contributor

Re: Using an unlocked OS 10 phone with US carriers, connecting to Google Email and other apps

Google Apps for Business is a subscription service which may be somewhat different than the typical Google mail (GMAIL) that is available to individuals. The Android phones work seamlessly with Google Apps for Business. It is my understanding that Google wrote the Android operating system.

Blackberry phones used to be the choice of business professionals due to the quality and features available in the phone. Several years ago, business users drove the wireless market. Now, it seems that most wireless carriers cater to the consumer market where price and prestige (ie what my friends use) is what drives decisions.

As a Google Apps for Business administrator for our company, I have access to the Google administrator info for our company. I researched Blackberry in this documentation and Google mentions ActiveSync. They reference the user to Google Sync for Blackberry 10.

Is anyone on this forum actively using Blackberry 10 devices with Google Apps for Business?

I read Google's article titled "Set Up Google Sync for Blackberry 10". It seems simple enough. The article advises that the Blackberry be set up to use Microsoft Exchange Active Sync. It appears that users can sync Email, Contacts, Calendar, Tasks and Memos.

Business users also use maps, voice recognition, camera phone, apps that simplify our job (ie electrical calculations) etc. We're typically not concerned with game apps.

Any advice from Blackberry users will be appreciated.

Yea, I know what Google Apps for Business is... I do.

You won't get the best experience with Google Apps for Business on BlackBerry10, quite frankly the package is designed for android not BlackBerry. I have a couple friends using it and they say it's adequate, not great.

You will find other services that do work better on BlackBerry... OneDrive from MS on the BlackBerry rather than Google Drive. Of course, for business purposes, being a BES10 server will be the very best thing you can do.

1. If any post helps you please click the Like Button below the post(s) that helped you.
2. Please resolve your thread by marking the post "Solution?" which solved it for you!
Knowledge Base Updates
New Contributor

Two years ago, we migrated to Google Apps for Business in order to eliminate the need for in house servers and software for email, documents, calendar, etc.

Being and "old but new" user, I don't understand the statment "being a BES10 server". Are you suggesting an in house installation of Blackberry software or is this a service that Blackberry offers?

Also, I read in another post titled "Android software" that Android apps will run on Blackberry 10 OS. They suggest installing SNAP on the phone from a PC and then using SNAP to download Android apps. However, I suspect that doesn't mean that they operate seamlessly.

How does ActiveSync play into this? Does ActiveSync allow Blackberry email, calendar, messages, etc. sync with Exchange servers? ActiveSync is what Google suggests in order to use the Blackberry 10 devices with Google Apps for Business. As you wrote previously, people are using Blackberry phones with Google Apps but it may not be the best solution. Any way to ask some of them to describe in this thread the issues that they see?

Android apps installed via Snap operate pretty well, most all I have downloaded do so, but there are some which don't. I have not personally encountered any which do not.

Regarding the Google Apps for Business, @Xandrex may be able to guide you better. I will see if he can review this thread.

Knowledge Base Updates
Guru III
My Device:

I'm rockin the BlackBerry DTEK60, Passport, Z30, Z10, Q10, BlackBerry Mini Stereo Speaker, 64 gig PlayBook,BT Headset HS-700

My Carrier: I am on AT&T. Please edit your Personal Profile with your DEVICE TYPE, DEVICE OS and Carrier

brinehart wrote:

How does ActiveSync play into this? Does ActiveSync allow Blackberry email, calendar, messages, etc. sync with Exchange servers? ActiveSync is what Google suggests in order to use the Blackberry 10 devices with Google Apps for Business. As you wrote previously, people are using Blackberry phones with Google Apps but it may not be the best solution. Any way to ask some of them to describe in this thread the issues that they see?

yes Active sync is supported on BB10 and works very well. But google blocks it unless running android. Thats why many of us switched to Outlook.com for personal email.

Click here to Backup the data on your BlackBerry Device! It's important, and FREE!

Click "Accept as Solution" if your problem is solved. To give thanks, click thumbs up
Click to search the Knowledge Base at BTSC and click to Read The Fabulous Manuals

BESAdmin's, please make a signature with your BES environment info.

SIM Free BlackBerry Unlocking FAQ
Follow me on Twitter @knottyrope

Want to thank me? Buy my KnottyRope App here

BES 12 and BES 5.0.4 with Exchange 2010 and SQL 2012 Hyper V

New Contributor

I'm confused. I've read several posts from June/July 2013 under my Googla Apps for Business forums. Google suggests using ActiveSync with Blackberry 10 OS devices. Users were having issues using ActiveSync with Gmail. However, I did not see any issues with Google Apps for Business users.

Do I understand correctly that Google Apps for Business now blocks ActiveSync unless the user has an Android device?

Several replies reference using Outlook. Are you using Outlook loaded onto the Blackberry? or are you using an Exchange server for Email?

Guru III
My Device:

I'm rockin the BlackBerry DTEK60, Passport, Z30, Z10, Q10, BlackBerry Mini Stereo Speaker, 64 gig PlayBook,BT Headset HS-700

My Carrier: I am on AT&T. Please edit your Personal Profile with your DEVICE TYPE, DEVICE OS and Carrier

GMail personal is being blocked for Active Sync. you have to use IMAP along with CalDav and CardDav.

Google apps if you are paying for it should work with Active Sync unless something wih Google has changed. I dont use it so I would not know. You should ask Google as they would know.

I run Exchange 2010 with BES 10.

You can get teh google connector for outlook on a PC. There is no Outlook on BB10, it has it own built in mail client.

Click here to Backup the data on your BlackBerry Device! It's important, and FREE!

Click "Accept as Solution" if your problem is solved. To give thanks, click thumbs up
Click to search the Knowledge Base at BTSC and click to Read The Fabulous Manuals

BESAdmin's, please make a signature with your BES environment info.

SIM Free BlackBerry Unlocking FAQ
Follow me on Twitter @knottyrope

Want to thank me? Buy my KnottyRope App here

BES 12 and BES 5.0.4 with Exchange 2010 and SQL 2012 Hyper V

Contributor
My Device: Z30, PlayBook

[ Edited ]

I have a personal Gmail account as well as Outlook (Hotmail). I can access all of my email accounts with out any issues as well as sync my Google calendar and contacts to the phone. This is via IMAP. Beware that for some reason, the Spam folder is not shown in the list of folders from your Gmail account.

I can access my Dropbox, Box, OneDrive and GoogleDrive cloud storage areas using an app called PlayCloud. It is specifically written for BB10 OS and not an android port, but it does cost.

If you prefer there are specific BB10 apps for connecting to Box, Dropbox or OneDrive, but none to Google drive as far as I know. To be honest, PlayCloud does it all in one place. The dev is also looking at getting Copy (www.copy.com) support working as well at some point.

Installing Snap will give you access to the Google App world. Most apps work ok, some I have had issues with. 

Vasilis