Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® Z30

Highlighted
Trusted Contributor
My Device: BB Bold>Playbook>Z30
My Carrier: Verizon

Using gmail as a backup for Z30 contacts

If I open a Google account and get a gmail address, will it backup (sych) my Contacts (1,800) that are already on my Z30, or will I have to re-enter them after setting up a gmail address....thanks!

Guru II
My Device: BlackBerry PRIV; BlackBerry Z30, Z10 and Q10 w/OS 10.3.2.2639; PlayBook w/OS 2.1.0.1917
My Carrier: AT&T

Re: Using gmail as a backup for Z30 contacts

Are these contacts in the local contact list? If so,some have told me they will but haven't tried this myself to be sure. If you can sync them into an Outlook profile then you can export them to Google manually and then they will sync to the device for sure.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
1. Please thank those who help you by clicking the "Like" button at the bottom of the post that helped you.
2. If your issue has been solved, please resolve it by marking the post "Solution?" which solved it for you!
Trusted Contributor

Yes, they are local. Had a bad experience in the past with Outlook, so,,,,,

Thanks for responding!

Guru II
My Device: BlackBerry PRIV; BlackBerry Z30, Z10 and Q10 w/OS 10.3.2.2639; PlayBook w/OS 2.1.0.1917

You don't have to use Outlook regularly. Just use the Link software to sync the contacts once into a new Outlook profile. Then export to a file and import into GMail.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
1. Please thank those who help you by clicking the "Like" button at the bottom of the post that helped you.
2. If your issue has been solved, please resolve it by marking the post "Solution?" which solved it for you!
Trusted Contributor

For many, if not most BB legacy phone users, Desktop Manager wouldn't sync with Outlook (error #133/) It caused problems thruout US...so does LINK work better with BB10's than Desktop Manager did?

Guru II

I sync'd Outlook hundreds, if not thousands, of times with no issues with legacy devices. You only need it to work once to do a one way sync from device to Outlook. I recommend making a new outlook profile and making a backup of the device before you do the sync--just in case.

Trusted Contributor

OK, I'll give it a try...thanks!

Guru II

And, before you go, I recommend using an Outlook.com address instead of a GMail address. GMail uses cardav and caldav for calendar and contact sync and it's not as good as Exchange Active Sync that Outlook.com offers.

Steps would be the same. You can easily import the same file into Outlook.com and then sync that account with your device.

I'm considering switching from GMail to Outlook.com for this very reason but switching email addresses is a big pain. For starting from scratch, definitely go with Outlook.com.

Trusted Contributor

OK, but I don't see any reference to Outlook on LINK...sorry I'm a dummy!
Guru II

Here's what I'd do if it were me. Create a new Outlook.com account then proceed with the following:

Create a new Outlook profile on your PC. Might as well set up a profile that goes to the new Outlook.com address while you're at it, but you don't have to.

Plug in the device.

Open Link

Click on the gear icon at the upper right.

Then at the bottom you should see two "tabs." One will be your computer name and the other should say "BlackBerry-XXXX" Click on the BlackBerry-XXXX tab.

Make a full backup of the device. You never know, anything can happen with tech and you want to be able to restore if you have to.

Under Synchronization click on Configure. Choose the profile you created for the Outlook.com address. Again, the profile doesn't have to be connected to the Outlook.com account if you don't want it to. It can be just a blank account.

Check the box for Contacts and uncheck for calendar (nless you want that data too).. Configure the sync for "1-Way Sync to Your Computer."

Once the data is in Outlook then export the contact to a file that you can import into Outlook.com.