Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® Z30

Highlighted
Regular Contributor
My Device: Passport SE & LG G4
My Carrier: Virgin Mobile

Z30 issues - battery drain, touchscreen issues selecting text

So I am now on my third Z30.  My first one, I think, was actually pretty good but I made in retrospect a mistake in returning it (long story).

My second Z30 had touchscreen issues (it wouldn't respond to touch) so it went back.

My third started off well, but I have two issues which aren't going away.

First - Battery drain.

I understand the logic of things having to 'settle in' (downloading and indexing all the old emails and what not), but my experience with my Z10 was that, on idle at least, with cell, bluetooth, wifi on and no apps running with about 4 push email accounts working, I had a battery drain of 0.005 watts according to Battery Guru.  Essentially, if I kept the phone on but not have any active frames going, it would last me about 120 hours.

On the Z30, with everything the same, I'm sitting at about at least 0.1 watts of drain so, on idle, my battery is lasting longer on the Z10. 

For sure when I use the phone, the battery life on the Z30 will last longer but something is running that is killing the battery.

I've wiped the phone 4 times and reinstalled the OS (10.2.0.1791) twice and still the same thing.  So there is a definite disappointment there.

Second - Touchscreen issues selecting text

While not as bad as my second defective phone, I've noticed quite a few times when trying to select text that it either doesn't work at all or it selects the text but gives me the pop up menu without allowing me the ability to adjust the text selection using the points.  When I get the 'bubble', it too often doesn't function correctly.

I'm hoping these are just software issues and that maybe a new leak will come up soon before my return window closes in just under two weeks as I'm not keen on reinstalling the same OS for a third time. 

If nothing new comes up, I guess I'll have to play it safe and return it for a third time and maybe wait for a later production date (all the ones I have had were built Oct 2, 2013).  Makes me regret selling my Z10 as it was rock solid.