Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® Z30

Highlighted
New Contributor
My Device: Z30, Z10, Q5
My Carrier: Fido

Z30 not working with SanDisk Extreme MicroSD 32GB 45MBS Class 10

So I got SanDisk Extreme MicroSD 32GB 45MBS Class 10, and it is not working on my Z30 but it is working on my Z10 (both latest 10.2.1)

it is working on my Z10 but not my Z30, is this a known issue?

i think this is reporducible, even on CrackBerry shop, it says "This product doesn't work with your Z30. /View Z30 Memory Cards or Change Device"
SanDisk Extreme MicroSD 32GB 45MBS Class 10 UHS-1 Memory Card w/ Adapter | BlackBerry 32GB microSDHC...

http://ca.crackberry.com/sandisk-extreme-microsd-32gb-45mbs-class-10-uhs-1-memory-card-w-adapter/7A2...

Trusted Contributor
My Device: Z30, Torch 9800, Playbook
My Carrier: Telus

Re: Z30 not working with SanDisk Extreme MicroSD 32GB 45MBS Class 10

I would try to reformat your SD card with FAT32 once more and give it a short name using a PC.
I had a USB drive with a similar issue and reformatting it twice was the cure.
New Developer
My Device: Not Specified

[ Edited ]

Did you ever get a resolution or explanation for this? I had a SanDisk Extreme 32GB MicroSD card that worked for a few months in my BlackBerry Z30, then started having problems with pictures corrupting before it suddenly lost all of my pictures. I thought it was a bad card so I had it replaced. The replacement card is doing the same thing after a week. Everything else on the phone works great.

Forums Advisor III
My Device: Samsung Galaxy S2, Samsung Galaxy S3, Samsung Galaxy Note 4, BlackBerry Torch 9800, BlackBerry Z10, Blackberry Z30, BlackBerry Priv

adcl wrote:

So I got SanDisk Extreme MicroSD 32GB 45MBS Class 10, and it is not working on my Z30 but it is working on my Z10 (both latest 10.2.1)

it is working on my Z10 but not my Z30, is this a known issue?

i think this is reporducible, even on CrackBerry shop, it says "This product doesn't work with your Z30. /View Z30 Memory Cards or Change Device"
SanDisk Extreme MicroSD 32GB 45MBS Class 10 UHS-1 Memory Card w/ Adapter | BlackBerry 32GB microSDHC...

http://ca.crackberry.com/sandisk-extreme-microsd-32gb-45mbs-class-10-uhs-1-memory-card-w-adapter/7A2...

Hello, 

Have you try a different brand? Kingston... Verbatim.... Ultra SanDisk ..... ???

New Developer

I still don't see where it says that particular card doesn't work with the Z30, but that is good to know. I was about to ask Verizon to replace my phone, so I will try another brand of SD card first.

Forums Advisor III
My Device: Samsung Galaxy S2, Samsung Galaxy S3, Samsung Galaxy Note 4, BlackBerry Torch 9800, BlackBerry Z10, Blackberry Z30, BlackBerry Priv

I had a similar issue on my Samsung S3. I had a msg one day saying " eject memory card before removal". But I never removed the card so when I checked my storage, I had no memory card showing only the internal storage. Long story short, the card is gone. It couldn't be red by any of my phones and none of my computers and laptop. Even to this day don't know if the phone caused the problem or the memory card crapped out.... but I lost a lot of pics. It was a 64gb class 10 made by some whatever brand...
Since the, I never used that brand again and I don't go above 16 Gb. I'm doing regular backups so even if something goes wrong, I'll be fine. However, none of my BlackBerry phone caused any of the problems described above.
My point is that even if the phone supports up to 64Gb, you'll probably never ever be using up that much space... and if you need more, you can always use the phone's internal storage until you can do a backup.
New Contributor

this is just the issue with this exact card speed, with exact this brand, and with Z30 model

other combinations, such as different speed, or other size, are fine

(even same series same brand with bigger 64GB size is working okay)

dont think RIM wants to fix this, since its not happening to everyone.

we are just bad luck getting this card with Z30

New Developer

I have been more interested in the speed over the storage capacity, but admit that I've taken the manufacturer's word and measured it only subjectively. Compared to iPhones and Android phones that I have taken flash photos with, the Z30 has been "smoking fast"; not sure if that was because of the SD card speed or just the phone.

The SanDisk cards that failed were both "up to 60MBS". When they fail on the Z30, the photos start reporting they are corrupted and eventually all of the data is lost; I have been able to reformat the cards and start over. It seems that if you take videos it will fail a lot faster.

Just ordered a SamSung that says its 48MBS. If this SD card fails I will try a slower card before I go back to Verizon for a new phone.

New Contributor

Agree that it seems to be data corruption happning inside the device and cauing data lost

once the corruption occured, the only way to fix it is to formate the card

and it is only happneing to this card with Z30

according to someone on CB, that 64GB one, same model is working fine

if you want the same speed performace, and have budget, maybe you can try on 64GB one

i wonder what happen to the performance for 64GB on the Z30

(btw, z30 can handle 64GB SD card, and the USB OTG function can even go up to a few TB with external hdd)

New Contributor

I think the issue might be fixed in 10.3.0

Just tired the SD card on the Z30 and it is pretty stable after some camera test on 10.3.0.1154 (will keep trying)

However 10.3.0 has some camera issue on Z30 

Let's wait wait and see if this is really fixed on 10.3.1

10.3.1 should be out officially next week with classic launch (I hope)