Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® Z30

Contributor
My Device: Z10, Z30, Passport
My Carrier: ATT

Z30 on AT&T what gives???

Why has the STA100-1 model never surfaced even if the carrier has not endorsed it?  It has been 6 months (give or take) since the Z30 was released and all models except the STA100-1 are available.  I live in an area that LTE reception is the only way I get fair service and not having the STA100-1 means that I will not have LTE (Atlanta, GA metro area).  I believe this model cleared the FCC...why has it even not shown up on ebay?

I see that shopblackberry.com has posted the STA100-5, but it is more compadible on T-Mo LTE than AT&T.

Also...why did BB decide to make more Z30 models than Z10 models?  For the Z10 a Rogers STL100-3 is the same as the AT&T one...go figure.

Solutions: 6,329
My Device: Passport • Z30 • Z10 • Torch9850 • Playbook
My Carrier: Verizon

Re: Z30 on AT&T what gives???

AT&T and BlackBerry would have answer those questions of "why" this and "why" that.

The STA100-5 model Z30 does get LTE in some areas where ATT has the band for that model Z30, I have a couple friends using it who get LTE sporadically.

>> NEW! 10% discount on BlackBerry devices from ShopBlackBerry.com, including PRIV

1. If any post helps you please click the Like Button below the post(s) that helped you.
2. Please resolve your thread by marking the post "Solution?" which solved it for you!
3. Install free BlackBerry Protect today for backups of contacts and data.
4. Guide to Unlocking your BlackBerry & Unlock Codes
Join our BBM Channels (Beta)
BlackBerry Support Forums Channel
PIN: C0001B7B4   Display/Scan Bar Code
Knowledge Base Updates
PIN: C0005A9AA   Display/Scan Bar Code
Contributor

I have seen reports that the LTE bands for AT&T vary in markets...and in the Atlanta area the Z30 (-5) does not get LTE on AT&T. 

Just is frustrating that they varied the LTE bands from the Z10 to the Z30 otherwise a Rogers phone would work just fine on AT&T like it has for the Z10.  Maybe they had good hopes for a better launch...but we see how that went in the US.

New Contributor
My Device: Q10
My Carrier: AT&T

I am totally with you on wanting that STA100-1. There are actually TWO variants of the Z30 that have never been released. One is the coveted STA100-1 that us Americans need for our LTE bands, and the other is the STA100-4. Both models are actually mentioned and referenced at the end of the Z30 owner's manual, so it is very strange that they do not exist already in some form. JSanders is doing the best with what he can, but I don't think even he has higher level access to unravel the mystery of the STA100-1. I have tried Michael Clewley on Twitter (he would know EXACTLY what happened to it) but I have received no response. Perhaps if we shake the tree enough, apples are bound to fall. Otherwise, you and I are faced with the dilemma of having the Z30 but losing LTE service, and where I live, that's a luxury I can't afford to lose. It would be nice if BlackBerry made it a little easier on us and just released the STA100-1. The day it was announced on Shop BlackBerry, I watched many people rush to purchase it only to cancel it once they found out it was the STA100-5. That sends a pretty strong message.

Contributor

With the popularity waning in the US...the odds that AT&T will do en exclusive on a Z50 or something like that is very long.  My guess (highly speculative) is they planned on an exclusive with AT&T and they backed down on the Z30.  So BB decided to shelve the plans.

Anyway...this is the life story of a BB user.  Thanks for the info.  I have followed Michael now and will ping him on the same.  I too saw in the CB forums so many people rushing to the shopblackberry.com sale to be canceling their order once they confirmed that it was the -5 model.  So many people wanted the -1.