Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

Community Feedback and Ideas

Contributor
My Device: Blackberry Q10
My Carrier: AT&T

BB Q10 browser and this forum - why no mobile site view?

Can someone explain to me why I can't view the MOBILE version of this forum on my BBQ10?  At first, I didn't think there was a mobile version of this forum. When I come here on my Q10, it looks the same way it looks on my desktop computer, with several columns, none of which I can read on my BB; I try to expand the post I want to read, but it's too wide, so I have to scroll left to right (or right to left) to read a complete line. 

But, when I use my ipod Touch, this forum shows up in a nice one column format, easy to read, with all the buttons (new message, post, etc.) . It just seems kind of weird to me that I can read this forum easily on an Apple device, but not on Blackberry's latest device.  What about those of you with the older phones? Does this forum display as a mobile site on the older phones?

There are other sites where I've had this problem, but I"ve been able to find the address for the mobile site and just plug it in and everything looks fine.  But, there doesn't even seem to be a separate mobile address for this forum.  (Someone suggested I use Opera Mini, but it doesn't even show up as an app in Blackberry World on my phone, so I guess it's not compatible with the Q10.)

My Device: Passport • Z30 • Z10 • Torch9850 • Playbook
My Carrier: Verizon

Re: BB Q10 browser and this forum - why no mobile site view?

sydneyp wrote:

Can someone explain to me why I can't view the MOBILE version of this forum on my BBQ10?

At the bottom of this thread, viewing ON your mobile Q10, you will see a line in the black shaded bottom screen:

BlackBerry.com/support | Mobile Site | Full Site.

Touch the "mobile site" link.

>> NEW! 10% discount on BlackBerry devices from ShopBlackBerry.com, including PRIV

1. If any post helps you please click the Like Button below the post(s) that helped you.
2. Please resolve your thread by marking the post "Solution?" which solved it for you!
3. Install free BlackBerry Protect today for backups of contacts and data.
4. Guide to Unlocking your BlackBerry & Unlock Codes
Join our BBM Channels (Beta)
BlackBerry Support Forums Channel
PIN: C0001B7B4   Display/Scan Bar Code
Knowledge Base Updates
PIN: C0005A9AA   Display/Scan Bar Code
Elite II
My Device: BlackBerry Z30
My Carrier: Rogers

I'm not sure why it would appear as the desktop version when you're accessing it from your phone but you can switch over to the mobile site by clicking the appropriate link at the very bottom of the site.  I can't remember if I had to do that at first or not but it now appears as the mobile version every time I access it now.

Cheers.  Smiley Happy

- If my response has helped you, please click "Options" beside my post and mark it as solved. Clicking the "thumbs up" icon near the bottom of my response would also be appreciated.

BillJ wrote:

I'm not sure why it would appear as the desktop version when you're accessing it from your phone

Because the Lithium software recognizes the BB10 browser as a desktop browser, rather than a mobile device. This has been an issue for many of us since the January launch.

>> NEW! 10% discount on BlackBerry devices from ShopBlackBerry.com, including PRIV

1. If any post helps you please click the Like Button below the post(s) that helped you.
2. Please resolve your thread by marking the post "Solution?" which solved it for you!
Knowledge Base Updates
Contributor

Thank you, thank you, thank you!  If I have the problem with other sites, I'll be sure to look at the bottom of the screen for a mobile version. 

Contributor

Wow, I guess I spoke too soon.  The site looks fine and the list of topics looks fine.  BUT, when I click on a topic, it takes me back to the old desktop version of the post.  Strange....

Sometimes, if you logout and log back on, and click on the mobile site, it will stay on the mobile site.

Knowledge Base Updates
Contributor

Thanks, JSanders, that seemed to work.  Maybe the old pages were stuck in my cache or something, but when I left the browser and came back later, everything flowed perfectly on the mobile site.   Now I can read this board while I'm commuting in the morning/afternoon Smiley Wink

Good luck.

It has actually been explained to me that the software which powers this forum is recognizing our Z10 and Q10 browsers as a desktop browser (because the browser is desktop quality) and that some tweaking to the forum software is being performed to help it see our browsers as a mobile device and deliver the correct mobile site to our browser.

Knowledge Base Updates