Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

Community Feedback and Ideas

Regular Contributor
My Device: AT&T - BB 9800

Profile email shows up in Google Search

When I Google my user name, my email address shows up in that search.

Can you please keep the email addresses private to prevent spam and other issues? 

Thanks.

Guru I
My Device: Passport, Playbook, 9320BES
My Carrier: Bouygues _ SFR

Re: Profile email shows up in Google Search

hello,

when you do that Google search, you get results that are webpages where your identity is published. If you want those informations not to be published anymore, you have to contact the webmaster of each website and ask them to remove your personal information.

on your profile here, your identity is hidden : http://supportforums.blackberry.com/rim/profile?user.id=33110
meaning you are not asking the correct people to correct that.

The search box on top-right of this page is your true friend, and the public Knowledge Base too:
Regular Contributor

This forum is for Forum Feedback. Hence I am asking this question here.

Check out other sites e.g. Norton Community Forum. It does not publsh the email address. 

This should have been kept private by Blackberry  Community Forum policies.

This is a no-brainer.

Guru I
My Device: Passport, Playbook, 9320BES
My Carrier: Bouygues _ SFR

omsoft wrote:

This is a no-brainer.

Well, I absolutely did not understand your first message. Please give more explanations.

Do I understand what you are saying ?
--> you do a Google search on your name
--> in the results, you have some that link to pages of the current forum
--> in those pages, some personal information is displayed

if that is so, then I cannot help you since you do not give us the possibility to see those pages. I do not see any personal information in your forum profile, so I guess that if there is indeed information, then it was published by yourself. You go to those messages of yours, and use the bottom right link to contact a moderator (those people are the only one that can edit old messages).

If I do not understand your situation, please give more information, like the pages concerned.

The search box on top-right of this page is your true friend, and the public Knowledge Base too:
Hall of Famer III
My Device: PRIV (6.0.1/AAG111), Z10/Z30/Q10 (10.3.2.2813), Playbook (2.1.0.1526)
My Carrier: TMobile USA

[ Edited ]

If you google your forum username and a result is your forum profile page, and then you click on that link (in google), you will indeed have your forum profile page displayed. If, when you do all of that, you happen to be logged into the forums, then you will indeed see your complete profile (including your email address) -- which, since you are logged in, is a correct result. If, however, when you do all of that and are not logged into the forums, you will see only the truncated profile information. Your email address is not being presented to the world as a result of a google search on your forum username...it is the fact that you are logged into the forums that causes the return of your profile page to include your full profile.

And, if you have previously checked the "remember me" box on the forum login page, it is possible that your web browser is logging you in automatically. When you have a fresh reboot and first attempt to enter the forums, do you have to log in? Or does your browser do so automatically for you? (I never check that box, so I can't say what exactly it does -- but I would suspect it does something like this.)

You can try all of this by googling my username (you can be logged into the forums or not...same result)...the first google result should be my forum profile and, if you click that, you will not see my email address. This is the same format of result that others are getting if they do the same with your forum username.

Hopefully that clears it up for you.

Cheers!

Message Edited by sdgardne on 07-03-2009 07:39 AM

Occam's Razor nearly always applies when troubleshooting technology issues!

New to the Community? Click here and also here for helpful guidance. Also please click here for additional helpful information to guide you as you proceed. I always recommend that you treat your BlackBerry like any other computing device, including using a regular backup schedule...click here for an article with instructions. If anyone has been helpful to you, please show your appreciation by clicking the button. Need a reference to BB10 OS/SR versions? Click here. Need a specific BB10 AutoLoader? Send me a private message.

...................................................... ......................................................
My Device: Not Specified

sdgardne is 100% correct, the only reason you can see you email address is because you are already logged in.
Regular Contributor

Thanks for the clarification. I panicked when I saw my email address being displayed.