Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

Downloaded Applications

Contributor
My Device: Blackberry Z10
My Carrier: Verizon

Application store guideline questions regarding the support of screens and undocumented APIs

Hello,

I am a new Blackberry developer and I have two questions for the community.

1. Does the application have to support all 3 device resolutions to make it through the BB app store?

2. I was looking through the rules for an answer to my previous question and came across the following clause: 

"Use undocumented APIs. The use of undocumented APIs is unsupported. Undocumented APIs can change and can cause your app to crash unexpectedly when users upgrade."

Just how documented do these APIs have to be? Do they have to be publicly available?

Thanks and please let me know if I can provide further clarification on my questions.

Developer
My Device: Playbook, Z10, Q10, Z30 with Files & Folders and Orbit of course
My Carrier: Vodafone

Re: Application store guideline questions regarding the support of screens and undocumented APIs

j2theowens wrote:

1. Does the application have to support all 3 device resolutions to make it through the BB app store?

It has to support the device resolutions of the devices you are targetting. So, if your app is only available for Z10, you have to support 768x1280. You can configure which devices your app is available for in the vendor portal when uploading your .bar file.

j2theowens wrote:

2. I was looking through the rules for an answer to my previous question and came across the following clause: 

"Use undocumented APIs. The use of undocumented APIs is unsupported. Undocumented APIs can change and can cause your app to crash unexpectedly when users upgrade."

Just how documented do these APIs have to be? Do they have to be publicly available?

Using undocumented API's will not usually be cause an automatic rejection. If your app works on the OS version the tester is using, it should pass. Many apps use undocumented API's, and I have yet to hear of apps being rejected because of this. Of course the use of such API's needs extra care, perhaps extra error handling to degrade gracefully if the API behaves in an unexpected manner. On the other hand, even documented API's misbehave or change sometimes, so using only documented API's doesn't guarantee correct operation.

Note that some API's require additional permissions in your manifest, which would be more likely be rejected.

Is there a specific API you are worried about?

Files & Folders, the unified file & cloud manager for PlayBook and BB10 with SkyDrive, SugarSync, Box, Dropbox, Google Drive, Google Docs. Free 3-day trial! - Jon Webb - Innovatology - Utrecht, Netherlands