Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

Downloaded Applications

New Contributor
My Device: Z10

How to separate paid and free apps in search?

Is there a way in BB World to separate between paid and free apps when I'm doing a search? I dislike ads in apps and don't mind paying to remove ads.

The other reason why I prefer to pay for apps is because I believe it will give us higher quality and more native apps. I don't think it's a coincidence that the Apple app store has a lot of high quality apps considering a lot of iPhone users are willing to pay for apps.

To help BlackBerry get more apps and more high quality apps, I would like to only get paid apps whenever I can. Is there a way to search for only paid apps in BB World?
Hall of Famer III
My Device: PRIV (6.0.1/AAF518), Z10/Z30/Q10 (10.3.2.2813), Playbook (2.1.0.1526)
My Carrier: TMobile USA

Re: How to separate paid and free apps in search?

Hello,

Via the device interface, the search engine doesn't have that refinement. But, there is the "Top Free", "Top Paid", etc views.

Via the PC/browser interface, it is a little bit more powerful. You can browse the major categories (e.g., Weather, Utilities, etc.) and then filter those to All, Free, or Paid. But that search engine also does not include the ability to refine by paid or free. Plus, if you use the PC/browser interface and are logged into AppWorld (via your BBID), you can push the app you choose to your device OTA without having to actually tether to the computer at all.

Good luck!

Occam's Razor nearly always applies when troubleshooting technology issues!

New to the Community? Click here and also here for helpful guidance. Also please click here for additional helpful information to guide you as you proceed. I always recommend that you treat your BlackBerry like any other computing device, including using a regular backup schedule...click here for an article with instructions. If anyone has been helpful to you, please show your appreciation by clicking the button. Need a reference to BB10 OS/SR versions? Click here. Need a specific BB10 AutoLoader? Send me a private message.

...................................................... ......................................................
New Contributor
My Device: Z10

Thanks for the info. It's too bad that there isn't a feature to do a search for paid apps only.
Hall of Famer III
My Device: PRIV (6.0.1/AAF518), Z10/Z30/Q10 (10.3.2.2813), Playbook (2.1.0.1526)
My Carrier: TMobile USA

My guess is that the design criteria is that, if you are searching, you are searching for something quite specific, and would want to see all of your options for that search result. When you are browsing categories, you might then want to filter...but not for specific searching.

In any event, that's just a guess...for I have no inside knowledge into the decisions made at BlackBerry when they design things.

Good luck!

Occam's Razor nearly always applies when troubleshooting technology issues!

New to the Community? Click here and also here for helpful guidance. Also please click here for additional helpful information to guide you as you proceed. I always recommend that you treat your BlackBerry like any other computing device, including using a regular backup schedule...click here for an article with instructions. If anyone has been helpful to you, please show your appreciation by clicking the button. Need a reference to BB10 OS/SR versions? Click here. Need a specific BB10 AutoLoader? Send me a private message.

...................................................... ......................................................
Highlighted
Trusted Contributor
My Device: Blackberry Passport
My Carrier: Optus Australia

I noticed there was no way to directly refine also. I think this is a step backwards also.