Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

Downloaded Applications

Contributor
My Device: Q10
My Carrier: China Unicom

Map for China

Dear BlackBerry, when are you going to provide map for China? Many people need to travel to China and need navigation. Please provide it asap. Thanks!
Forums Veteran I
My Device: Passport/ Curve 9320

Re: Map for China

Have you tried downloading google maps?
_____________________________________________________________________________________________
Click if you want to Thank someone. If Problem is resolved, so that others can make use of it.
Super Contributor
My Carrier: Telus

Some thoughts....

• you needed the Google Map application with old blackberries to access the gps.  Today your browser has access to the GPS.
  • you can just browse to https://maps.google.com for Google Maps.
  • is your phone unlocked for use in China?
  • have you researched which China SIM will work with your phone? Otherwise, be prepared for high roaming charges. I found China Unicomm worked best for me a few years ago.
Contributor

Thanks! Man. My phone is unlocked and UK version. Work so far so good with China Unicom. No problem. I think I will have to with browser solution for the short run. If this is not solving in a year, means no dedicated app out, I will have to get a iPhone. Smiley Sad
Contributor

I tried and get two apps so far, neither of them worked. No China map. Only US or UK. Smiley Sad
Super Contributor
My Carrier: Telus

I can see a Google map of Ghangzhou China without problems on the Q10 browser from North America.  Perhaps the country has the locations blocked by the Great Firewall of China.  Test again after you leave China.

Contributor

Buddy, I have no problem using the browser. The problem is when I use the app for map. The app does not have the map data loaded. But thanks anyway!
Regular Contributor
My Device: BlackBerry Z10
My Carrier: Bell

I have just discovered OsmAnd  [that's how it's spelled]  maps, some kind of open-source mapping which has both offline and online tracking features...  very very detailed for the province of British Columbia in Canada.  I am no expert on these things, but a curious, if distracted, explorer of them.  http://osmand.net/ is the URL -- they have a wide choice of maps to download, do try it.  Not sure if China is included, but it may be.  Let us know if it is.

Regular Contributor
My Device: BlackBerry Z10
My Carrier: Bell

Also I forgot to add that they take a very very long time to download, owing to the details and so on -- so get a good WiFi connection and set aside a few hours -- that's what I had to do. Well worth it, though.
My Device: z10
My Carrier: SMART

I am using a service vpn from http://www.sunvpn.net/ and it worked. No Lags and there is no restrictions, Just set it up correctly and enjoy.