Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

Downloaded Applications

Trusted Contributor
My Device: Z10

Third Party Apps in AppWorld

[ Edited ]

If something as basic as mute camera noise could be addressed in the OS it would eliminate the need to download 3rd party programs as well as eliminating the need to expose yourself the possibility of phony software.

Not that any coder worth their salt is going to waste time targeting BBRY, the principle is what's important and people's willingness to click through EULAs is incredible.

But who knows- maybe BB would be too busy addressing giant holes in the OS to go chasing obvious things like 'mute camera noise'...is that why you seriously doubt we'll see true saving apps to media card?

http://www.zdnet.com/malwarebytes-launches-anti-virus-android-app-7000022023/

Subject Title edited to reflect new topic.

Solutions: 6,396
My Device: Passport • Z30 • Z10 • Torch9850 • Playbook
My Carrier: Verizon

Re: Third Party Apps in AppWorld

[ Edited ]

It's a lot more simpler than you are thinking. Some countries and localties have outlawed silent camera shutters due to peeping tom, stalking and privacy laws. So, it's easy enough for the global OS developer, BlackBerry, to not include the function. Allow a third party developer to do so, and it's not BlackBerry's responsibility to comply with each local law. Additionally, since BlackBerry has never muted the camera shutter even on past legacy BBOS releases (except by accident when the entire device was on silent or vibrate), I don't expect them to take away that ability to create such from the independent developers.

I don't see what could be phony there.

misterblank wrote:

But who knows- maybe BB would be too busy addressing giant holes in the OS to go chasing obvious things like 'mute camera noise'...is that why you seriously doubt we'll see true saving apps to media card?

http://www.zdnet.com/malwarebytes-launches-anti-virus-android-app-7000022023/

In case you skipped over reading your link, no where is BlackBerry mentioned. Why would BlackBerry be addressing gaping holes in the Android OS? There is no Android OS on BlackBerry10.

Finally, if you want bicker, nitpick and continue off-topic, please create your own thread elsewhere. This is thread is for Feature Requests. I responded to the user with alternatives. You responded with opinion, snarky commentary and inuemndo. Offtopic to this thread.

1. If any post helps you please click the Like Button below the post(s) that helped you.
2. Please resolve your thread by marking the post "Solution?" which solved it for you!
3. Install free BlackBerry Protect today for backups of contacts and data.
4. Guide to Unlocking your BlackBerry & Unlock Codes
Join our BBM Channels (Beta)
BlackBerry Support Forums Channel
PIN: C0001B7B4   Display/Scan Bar Code
Knowledge Base Updates
PIN: C0005A9AA   Display/Scan Bar Code
Trusted Contributor

[ Edited ]

What countries outlawed the shutter noise on a camera?

And wouldn’t BB need to police BB World for programs that would support illegal activity in the countries you mention?

“In case you skipped over reading your link, no where is BlackBerry mentioned. Why would BlackBerry be addressing gaping holes in the Android OS? There is no Android OS on BlackBerry10.”

OF COURSE the article doesn’t mention BB. The point is that while people become more trusting with their devices and are told to “download the app” they tend to not read what they are signing up for. Despite your lack of vision in reference of something that could be phony, malicious programs exist and mobiles are ever increasing as targets.

“Finally, if you want bicker, nitpick and continue off-topic, please create your own thread elsewhere. This is thread is for Feature Requests. I responded to the user with alternatives. You responded with opinion, snarky commentary and inuemndo. Offtopic to this thread.”

I wasn’t off topic. You quashed the users requests with 3rd party apps and gave your opinion on moving apps to an SD card. I was making a point that the need for 3rd party involvement would be unnecessary if the issue was addressed at the OS. As well as a reason to avoid a 3rd party if at all possible, furthermore I was explaining why downloading apps something is to be cautious of.

[ Edited ]

blah, I didn't quash his idea, I have him workable options. Rather than leaving him with a "nothing", I helped him along with what he needs. Still, all decent feature requests... meanwhile, here's what works.

misterblank wrote:

I wasn’t off topic.

Of course you were.

And still are.

And why would you want to put hardworking, independent developers out of business. Some of those guys and gals have mouths to feed. Why pick on them.

Rarely does a BlackBerry AppWorld app have malicious code. I can't think of when one has. Can you?

1. If any post helps you please click the Like Button below the post(s) that helped you.
2. Please resolve your thread by marking the post "Solution?" which solved it for you!
Knowledge Base Updates
Regular Contributor
My Device: Z10 RFF91LW
My Carrier: Digicel/Airtel/3/T-Mobile

[ Edited ]

Ummm... the camera shutter sound can be silenced in 10.2 by putting the phone in silent mode.

Trusted Contributor

[ Edited ]

You presented workable options without enlightening users of potential hazards of downloading 3rd party programs. And to address an issue that has evidently been addressed in 10.2.xxx

I want to put people out of business as much as you want to have users download malicious software.

Majority of known malicious activity targets the OS's with a larger market share than BBRY.

I don't know of malicious apps in BB app world either but because you or I don't know of any doesn't mean they don't exist. Typically the problems I’ve seen across all mobile platforms are severe battery drain which 9/10 times coincides with a user downloading an app, and is usually resolved by uninstalling said app.

With a title like ‘Resident Expert’ people tend to have a ‘built-in’ listening. They see you’ve posted so many things and therefore must be knowledgeable. But to advise users to download things without informing them of possible repercussions is irresponsible. And to shoot down someone for making that point is narrow minded.

[ Edited ]

misterblank wrote:

I don't know of malicious apps in BB app world either but because you or I don't know of any doesn't mean they don't exist.

There, you said it.

So, go create your own thread and discuss that to high heaven. It doesn't belong here.

My recommending a third party app to a user in this forum should not result in your threadcrapping about malicious third party app behaviour on Android.

Again, you're offtopic in THIS thread, and if you want to troll me and "inform" users of my shortcomings, have at it, and we'll see where that goes.

**edit, thanks to the Mods, this discussion has been removed from the previous thread to its own stand-along thread for further discussion.

Knowledge Base Updates
Trusted Contributor

______________________________________________________________________________________________

misterblank wrote:

I don't know of malicious apps in BB app world either but because you or I don't know of any doesn't mean they don't exist.

______________________________________________________________________________________________

You continue to miss the point(s).

This has nothing to do with shortcomings, I didn't mean anything personally and apologize if you took it the wrong way.

I don't care about hijacking your thread, i care about people being uninformed of all factors when they're told to do something. 

You don't get it.

I don't make recommendation for a user knowing what I am advising might harm them... and WHEN I have done so, I will put that warning. I've done it often.

There are no 'malicicious' apps, malware, virus ridden apps in BlackBerry World. None have been found.

There was one developer with about 20 apps in the store who I believe was personally harvesting PIN numbers to use in his other BBM Friends app... I've advised many users in this forum not to install his apps, I've also notified BlackBerry app world support and from all I know, his 'potential' problem app was pulled.

Name a malicious third party app in BlackBerryWorld. Please.

Knowledge Base Updates
New Developer
My Carrier: Vodafone

JSanders wrote: 

Name a malicious third party app in BlackBerryWorld. Please.

Stunt Extreme

Here's the link: https://appworld.blackberry.com/webstore/content/59972407/

Having already installed ESET Mobile Security a long time ago, I have also installed this app about a week ago.

When I started it, I received this warning message from the ESET App:

Threat: Leadbolt.F (variant)
Category: Potentially unwanted application

I have posted a review for this application, saying that ESET found Leadbold.F virus on this app. What annoys me to the extreme (since I love BlackBerry as a user and as a beginning developer), is that the review was online at a certain moment, then it was deleted. (Okay, maybe it's not technically a virus, but it's a threat of some kind - i.e. malware!)

As a side note, this app requires no permissions.

I do not even know who to contact from the blackberry world in order to report this issue.