Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

Downloaded Applications

Contributor
My Device: Passport Z10 9800 9700
My Carrier: AT&T
Accepted Solution

Z10 map does not render on an airplane

My Z10 BB map does not render while riding on a commercial airplane. It shows the moving my location dot on a white screen. I have another app that lists coordinates, speed, and direction so I know it is receiving satellite signal and can accquire a GPS fix. My 9800 can do this.

Guru I
My Device: Passport, Playbook, 9320BES
My Carrier: Bouygues _ SFR

Re: Z10 map does not render on an airplane

when you are in a place without a data connection (like in a plane without a local WiFi), then BlackBerry Maps is only available to know your GPS coordinates.

But display is not the most practical.

If you wish to have your coordinates, I suggest you use the Compass app or a third party GPS app on your Z10.

The search box on top-right of this page is your true friend, and the public Knowledge Base too:
Highlighted
Contributor

Unbelieveable, BB maps must have a network connection and it will not function with standalone GPS reception. I just tested in airplane mode. GPS does work. Maps does not. Serious degradation from OS6. I'm glad I know this now before going 50 miles into the the bush beleiving my Z10 would be my GPS mapping tool. This could even be a problem using the road navigation and driving someplace without cell signal. Blackberry should post a warning about this.

Guru I

what do you mean by "serious degradation from OS6" ? How is this different from BlackBerry Maps on OS6?

The search box on top-right of this page is your true friend, and the public Knowledge Base too:
Contributor

My 9800 BB maps shows location and movement with out a network connection using GPS signal only. It does require network to navigate point to point. I need to find a map app that will do this on Z10.

New Contributor
My Device: Z10
My Carrier: Telus

The Z10 will show a dot and movement without a data connection, but it will not show a map. This is the same as the 9900 or any legacy BB and it is the same as Google Maps on my Nexus 4 and Apple Maps on my iPhone. If you want an offline navigation solution then I suggest you download one of the many offline navigation apps in BlackBerry world. 

Contributor

So OS7 behaves the same as OS10. Yes, I will try an offline map app. I want one that will keep up with the times and have the ability to transfer all my locations when I change devices. Now if I can find one that will recognize my OS6 locations, I will be happy.

Guru I

you can use Google Maps in the browser.
your MyMaps will be stored and accessible on your Desktop, tablet and smartphones.

Contributor

Thanks, but I would need a network connection for the browser to function. I want maps that work by GPS signal only for use in remote areas and outdoor activities. I live in Alaska. I used gmaps a few years ago and found they would not save locations off roads or on salt water. Also, I try to avoid all things google.
Contributor

Mireo Don't Panic maps app is my solution. Paid app with offline maps. Has turn by turn voice. Supports multiple languages. Easy UI. I haven't tried it on an airplane but confident it will work. Best part is it will accept coordinates for points on the map. My favorite places in OS6 BB maps shows their coordinates. I can type these into the Mireo app and have my old favorites on it. Manual transfer but it works.