Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

Downloaded Applications

Highlighted
Contributor
My Device: Q10
My Carrier: AT&T

how to report scam apps?

What is the appropriate way to report scam or fraudulent BlackBerry world apps?

Does BlackBerry process refunds without hassle when someone downloads a scam app?

What is the procedure to request a refund?

After looking through a few apps in BlackBerry world I am extremely apprehensive to download any of these apps. Not so much because I'm worried about losing a few dollars but because I don't want to install something that is going to end up hacking my phone.

I was looking for an app to disable the lock screen - since pressing the D key turns on my q10 display I don't understand why I'm not able to disable the lock screen...

Regardless, see below, this app is clearly a scam...

Check out Custom Lock Screen in BlackBerry World! You can find it at http://appworld.blackberry.com/webstore/content/33286903
Elite II
My Device: BlackBerry Z30
My Carrier: Rogers

Re: how to report scam apps?

AT&T can help you with getting a refund for apps purchased in BlackBerry World.

As for reporting apps, I'm not aware of any program in place to do so. The best thing to do is post as many reviews of scam apps in as many forums as possible (including on the page from where you download the app in BlackBerry World). Reporting it to AT&T when you request a refund also can't hurt.

Cheers.  Smiley Happy

- If my response has helped you, please click "Options" beside my post and mark it as solved. Clicking the "thumbs up" icon near the bottom of my response would also be appreciated.

Developer
My Device: Playbook, Dev Alpha C, Z10 LE, Z30
My Carrier: Orange

Hi, there are a lot of reviews saying this app is a scam. I'm just wondering how you managed to purchase this app in the first place?

If you've been helped click on Like Button, if you've been saved buy the app. Smiley Happy

Developer of stokLocker, Sympatico and Super Sentences.
Contributor

Hi bbsjdev,

I did not purchase or download. I did see the many reviews from people who made the mistake of purchasing the app without reading reviews first. My first response was to report a violation... When I couldn't find such a link I came here.
Developer
My Device: Playbook, Dev Alpha C, Z10 LE, Z30
My Carrier: Orange

Okay, I'm amazed so many people would purchase that app, I guess some just ignore the star rating and don't bother to read the reviews.

If you've been helped click on Like Button, if you've been saved buy the app. Smiley Happy

Developer of stokLocker, Sympatico and Super Sentences.
Contributor

[ Edited ]

Crazy, right? App publisher "MobileStar" has 47 similar "apps" on BlackBerry World.  Is there nobody at Research in Motion tasked with keeping BlackBerry World clean and professional looking?  I think anyone who had purchased these apps deserves a refund.  Blaming the consumer is not appropriate in this situation, especially when those who took the time to demand their refund likely received it simply because this is truly a scam.

It looks to me like BlackBerry is making the same mistake with their marketplace as they made with the touchscreen years back.

A professional online marketplace is expected today.  Wide presence of MobileStar's apps and no method to report them are both signs of an unprofessional online marketplace.  It resembles one of the more shady areas of the internet.

TL : DR version: It's not worth calling a cell provider for a few dollars.

Refunds.  Calling any mobile service provider, navigating through an options tree, being asked to take a survey, waiting on hold, waiting on hold, waiting on hold, listening to a representative tell me their name, ask for my name, greet me by my name, ask me how I am, tell me how happy they are to assist me, how concerned they are about my problem, repeat my problem back to me, say how they will do everything they can to resolve my problem, do something, tell me what they did, ask me if they have resolved my problem, ask me if I have any other problems, recap the entire phone call, and tell me what a pleasure it was to speak with me today is something I would not do for two dollars (regardless of the representatives native language).

I've certainly digressed now but can you imagine the phone tree option:

SERVICE PROVIDER: Press star star for a no frills power-rep.

ME: * *

SERVICE PROVIDER: Hello.  What can I do for you?

ME: I need a refund, downloaded a scam app.

SERVICE PROVIDER: Name?

ME: <insert name>

service provider: Last 4?

ME: <last 4 of SS#>

SERVICE PROVIDER: Just a moment.

*two seconds elapse*

SERVICE PROVIDER: Done.  Anything else?

ME: Nope, thanks.

SERVICE PROVIDER: No problem.  *click*

ME: How can I tip that person $2?