Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

Java Development

Developer
My Device: Not Specified

3D API, no one is interested in it?

Hi,

don't you think that the lack of 3D API is a really shame on a 2009 modern phone?

Highlighted
Developer
My Device: Z10 (STL100-4)-10.3.2.858, Z10 (STL100-3)-10.3.1.2576, Z30 (STA100-5)-10.3.1.2582, Passport (SQW100-1)-10.3.1.2576, PlayBook (16GB)-2.1.0.1917
My Carrier: Verizon

Re: 3D API, no one is interested in it?

Not really, you also need to define a "2009 modern phone." Are you talking about a system-on-a-chip type phone like the BlackBerry or a lets-cram-it-all-in type phone like the iPhone?

A phone that is less then $100 does not have a high tech/high end 3D system and people still buy those phones so it doesn't matter too much.

I personally would like a 3D API but can understand why RIM doesn't have one (If you look at the specs on some of the Blackberries they don't all have a 3D chip/capability so to create an API that is general enough that the everyday person wouldn't have to have a check done to see if the game is compatible and put it in a API that could possibly go on many different devices you need to make sure they all support it. Since they don't all support it than RIM wouldn't come out with it as of right now. I remember RIM saying they did want to release a 3D API and were working on it.

---Spends time in #blackberrydev on freenode (IRC)----
Three simple rules:
1. Please use the search bar before making new posts.
2. "Like" posts that you find helpful.
3. If a solution has been found for your post, mark it as solved.
--I code too much. Well, too bad.
Developer

Most Blackberry phones costs more than 200$ and here in my country most interesting model are sold at 400€/499€

that are equivalent to 700$ ...

So I don't think that Blackberry is a cheap phone that cannot afford a GPU Smiley Happy

Developer
My Device: Z10 LE, Z30, Passport
My Carrier: O2 Germany

with the iphone creating revenues as a gaming platform i guess rim will be opening up in this part. i doubt that posting here will make them do it faster though.
----------------------------------------------------------
feel free to press the like button on the right side to thank the user that helped you.
please mark posts as solved if you found a solution.
@SimonHain on twitter
Developer

Surely, I'll like to understand how can RIM sell a phone for 700$ without a GPU Smiley Happy

that's all...

Developer
My Device: Z10 LE, Z30, Passport
My Carrier: O2 Germany

[ Edited ]
it seems that they can do it very easily.
some chips have 3d support, the only thing missing is a public access via java.

see for the storm1 for example:
http://brew.qualcomm.com/brew_bnry/pdf/brew_2007/Tech-303_Ligon.pdf
Message Edited by simon_hain on 08-18-2009 04:15 PM
----------------------------------------------------------
feel free to press the like button on the right side to thank the user that helped you.
please mark posts as solved if you found a solution.
@SimonHain on twitter