Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

Java Development

Developer
My Device: Not Specified

4.5 Simulator Browser App Unable to Connect to MDS Sim

Hello all. I'm trying to get the 4.5 simulators working, but have not been able to. Here's what I am doing:

1) Clean install of Windows XP Pro SP2

2) Install JDK 6 Update 15

3) Install BlackBerry_Email_MDS_4.1.2.17.exe

4) Install BlackBerry_Simulators_4.5.0.81_8800.exe

5) Run MDS via the Start menu, the command line window appears, and stays running with all the usual output, and the service info is available at 127.0.0.1:8080

6) Run the 4.5.0.81 8800 simulator via the Start menu

7) Run the Browser app

8) Click on the built-in bookmark (or enter any URL) and it immediately shows the message: "Unable to connect to the selected Mobile Data Service, please try again later. If the problem persists, please contact your administrator. [OK]"

Note that the Maps program works fine, and if I install the 4.2, 4.6, or 4.7 sims, the Browser app in those simulators all work fine. It's just the 4.5 sims in which the Browser app doesn't work.

Is there sometime that I am missing?

Thanks!

-Tom B. 

BlackBerry Development Advisor
My Device: BlackBerry PRIV
My Carrier: Bell

Re: 4.5 Simulator Browser App Unable to Connect to MDS Sim

What BlackBerry model are you simulating?  There is an issue with the BlackBerry 8830 Simulator that can prevent it from connecting to the MDS Simulator.  If you are using a different model, close the BlackBerry smartphone simulator, delete the .dmp files located in the simulator directory and try again.
Mark Sohm

Please refrain from posting new questions in solved threads.
Problem solved? Click the Accept As Solution button.
Found a bug? Report it using Issue Tracker
Developer

Thank you for your quick reply. It is the 8800 simulator that I am trying to get working. I tried exiting the simulator, deleting the dmp files out of the simulator's install folder, and then running the simulator again, but I get the same results.

Again, the steps in my previous post were from a clean install of XP, so it is not working right from the start, and it should be really easy for anyone to reproduce. Are the 4.5 simulators known to work outside of a dev environment?

Is there anything else I can do to help track down the problem?

Thanks again,

-Tom B.

Highlighted

Are you seeing this with all BlackBerry Simulators or just this one?  There is an issue with the 4.5 BlackBerry 8830 that prevents it from working with the MDS Simulator.  I'm not aware of any issues that affect the 8800.

Do you have any local firewall software that could be blocking the connection between the BlackBerry smartphone simulator and MDS Simulator?

Mark Sohm

Developer

Hi, thanks for the reply. I get the error message with any of the 4.5 simulators, but the 4.2 simulators work fine (including the 8800 4.2 sim). Since I'm testing this on clean installs of XP, they only have the Windows firewall installed, which I have turned off.

I thought that it might be an issue with running the sims in an XP VM, so I did a clean install of XP on a spare computer, then followed the steps in my original email to install the MDS sim and the 4.5 8800 sim and I got the same error message, so it's not specific to running under a VM.

If you have an XP VM lying around it should only take a few minutes to reproduce this. I'd love to know if anyone has been able to get the 4.5 sims running outside of a dev environment.

Thanks again,

-Tom B.

I am able to uses these simulators on my XP PC.  What coverage is shown on the home screen of the BlackBerry Simulator?  You should see "edge" with "Default EDGE Network".
Mark Sohm

Developer

Hi. Yes, it says "edge" and "Default EDGE Network" on the home screen.

On your XP PC that has the 4.5 simulators working, does that machine have any dev tools on it?

Thanks,

-Tom B.