Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

Java Development

New Developer
My Device: Not Specified
Accepted Solution

64KB size limit in email attachment ?!

Hello,

is true that the size of an attachment sent via email via API can't be more than 64 KB ?

I'm not able to find an official confirm on this on the BB knowledge base / documentation.

To me this looks very strange and limiting.

Thanks and regards,

Mike

Highlighted
Retired

Re: 64KB size limit in email attachment ?!

Hi Mike,

You are correct that there is a 64kb limit for receiving attachments using the "x-rimdevice" prefix. This behaviour is explained in the following Knowledge Base article:

What Is - Delivering attachment contents to a BlackBerry device

http://www.blackberry.com/knowledgecenterpublic/livelink.exe/fetch/2000/348583/800451/800563/What_Is...

Also note that with JDE v5.0, there is a new API to programmatically retrieve an attachment file in its native file format even for supported file types (which can be greater than 64kb).

For sending email email attachments using the API, there was a restriction of 64kb prior to BlackBerry handheld software v4.5, but since v4.5 the maximum file size is limited by either BIS or BES (default of 3MB, but varies for certain mime-types).

Tariq

New Developer

Re: 64KB size limit in email attachment ?!

Hi Tariq, after that much time I can finally confirm that BlackBerry handheld software v4.5 and further allows to send attachments according to BIS (not tried with BES).

Thank you very much, your answer was very helpful.

Regads and thanks for supporting,

Mike