Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

Java Development

Highlighted
Developer
My Device: Bold 9700
My Carrier: Orange IL
Accepted Solution

9630 Simulator NOT working with MDS Simulator !

[ Edited ]

Hi all,

I'm running the Tour simulator (BlackBerry_Simulators_4.7.1.40_9630_Verizon) with the MDS Simulator (BlackBerry_Email_MDS_4.1.4) but I can't connect my browser to the internet at all.

What can be the problem ?

Thanks in advance

Edit: Followed simon "understandable " remark.

Message Edited by click-ma on 20-08-2009 02:26 PM
Developer
My Device: Z10 LE, Z30, Passport
My Carrier: O2 Germany

Re: 9630 Simulator NOT working with MDS Simulator !!!

maybe you need a newer mds version?
despite your understandable agitation you might try to use only single punctuation symbols.
----------------------------------------------------------
feel free to press the like button on the right side to thank the user that helped you.
please mark posts as solved if you found a solution.
@SimonHain on twitter
Developer

Maybe there is no newer version ?

The version I use (4.1.4) comes from:

http://na.blackberry.com/eng/developers/browserdev/devtoolsdownloads.jsp

On the download page (https://www.blackberry.com/Downloads/browseSoftware.do), the latest version is 

BlackBerry® Email and MDS Services Simulator Package v4.1.2 (Bundle 17)

Developer

There is a workaround to use a newer version than the official installations files: use the MDS simulator from the JDE or from the Eclipse installation and copy them to any machine that needs it.

The final answer seems to be not related to the MDS version. In the BB simulator, you have to make sure the network used is the "1xev".

Then it works fine.

HTH

New Developer
My Device: Not Specified

For other suckers out there, I was never able to get the separately-downloaded MDS and Simulator to work.  But if you just install the BlackBerry JDE (the self-sufficient development environment) it comes with both a simulator and a MDS.  Start the MDS first, then start the simulator.  Magic.

-david

Developer

I have been able to get the MDS/ESS simulator running just fine (in conjunction with the BB Smartphone Simulators) and working with Eclipse 3.4.1 (and 3.4.2 which is not currently supported by RIM as of 2009 Sep) as opposed to the BlackBerry JDE.

The only issue I had was that MDS/ESS had to be run as administrator or it would not work for me - it starts up and then the console window and then shortly into the initialization the console window disappears.  This was bothersome since I like to develop in Eclipse as my own user not the administrator.

It is also bothersome that each time I run the 9630 Simulator it loses both my SD card setting and my Network setting (the one you need to run the simulator given in the solution above).

Developer
My Device: Storm 9550
My Carrier: AT&T

Re: 9630 Simulator NOT working with MDS Simulator !

I'm using the 4.7.1.40 9630 Simulator, with either the JDE 4.7 MDS, JDE 4.6 MDS, or standalone 4.1.4 MDS.

I have tried setting the simulator's network type to CDMA, as suggested above.

None of this works.  No communication between simulator and MDS.  I use the same MDS simulator with several 4.7.0 Storm simulators, and they all work.

Why does nothing work on the Tour?  MDS, user settings (network type, GPS), playing MP3 files.

New Developer

Thanks, click-ma! I followed your instructions to change the network type to "1xev" and I can now access the Internet! THANK YOU!!!!

New Developer
My Device: 9630
My Carrier: MDS

I am using BlackBerry Simulator 9630 , as suggested I am not able to change the network. Can i know the exact procedure to change the network , in other word I would like to know the Steps involved in changing the network.

Developer

Minija,

Once the simulator comes up then click on the BlackBerry button (the button just to the right of the green telephone receiver button), move the cursor until you find the "Managed Connection" icon (it is shaped like an antena with radio signals emitting from both sides), then scroll down to the 'Mobile Network Options' and click the select button.  "Data Services" should be on - if not then toggle this setting.  "Network Technology" should be set to '1XEV'.

That should do it.