Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

Java Development

Developer
My Device: Torch 9810

A message to the taggers of this board..

[ Edited ]
Lets assume a user wants to search on "How to update screen on a main event thread .."

He would search for "update screen", So a tag like this "how_to_upadte_a_screen_on_main_event_thread", will not help people in an efficient search, the tag doesn't help to get the relavent conversation.. Rather it destructs user experience in searching.. He/She is not going to search the exact keyword - therefore the tag is not acting like a key word..

They are just keywords - So the appropriate tags for this might be

Update, Screen, Main, Event, Thread, invalidate, MainScreen, UpdateScreen, MainEvent etc..

So I request people who had tagged such do not continue the same in the future.. If it is possible, you guys can edit your own tags to let it productive in the user experience..

Cheers.. 

------------------------------------------
Something about tag: 
In online computer systems terminology a tag is a non-hierarchical keyword or term assigned to a piece of information (such as an internet bookmark, digital image, or computer file). This kind of metadata helps describe an item and allows it to be found again by browsing or searching. Tags are chosen informally and personally by the item's creator or by its viewer, depending on the system. 

Edit: Tag definition place changed.. Precised the thing I wanted to convey.. 
Message Edited by mantaker on 07-06-2009 06:28 PM
--
Manimaran Selvan
Co-Founder, Tech Lead,
Equity Markets Research Group
Developer
My Device: Not Specified

Re: A message to the taggers of this board..

[ Edited ]

mantaker wrote:
Lets assume a user wants to search on "How to update screen on a main event thread .."

He would search for "update screen", So a tag like this "how_to_upadte_a_screen_on_main_event_thread", will not help people in an efficient search, the tag doesn't help to get the relavent conversation.. Rather it destructs user experience in searching.. He/She is not going to search the exact keyword - therefore the tag is not acting like a key word..

They are just keywords - So the appropriate tags for this might be
Update, Screen, Main, Event, Thread, invalidate, MainScreen, UpdateScreen, MainEvent etc..

So I request people who had tagged such do not continue the same in the future.. If it is possible, you guys can edit your own tags to let it productive in the user experience..

Cheers.. 

------------------------------------------
Something about tag: 
In online computer systems terminology a tag is a non-hierarchical keyword or term assigned to a piece of information (such as an internet bookmark, digital image, or computer file). This kind of metadata helps describe an item and allows it to be found again by browsing or searching. Tags are chosen informally and personally by the item's creator or by its viewer, depending on the system. 

Edit: Tag definition place changed.. Precised the thing I wanted to convey.. 
Message Edited by mantaker on 07-06-2009 06:28 PM

I am not totally agree with mantaker.

I am not going for some standard defination of tag.

In my point of view tag means (from this forums context) .... When you read a post and if you realise that the post might help you in future. Then you might tag that post. You need to tag that post in such a way that you can find the post in future just by looking at your tag text.

Lets take mantaker's example: "How to update screen on a main event thread .."

You should tag this like "update_screen_on_event_thread" or "update_screen_on_main_thread" or anything that can give you a clear idea about the tagged post.

As mantaker stated.. If you tag like any of the following are not going to give you exact idea about what the tagged post actually stands for.
Update, Screen, Main, Event, Thread, invalidate, MainScreen, UpdateScreen, MainEvent.

So I would rather suggest to tag something like "update_screen_on_main_event_thread". for that post.

Regards

Bikas

Message Edited by bikas on 07-06-2009 08:49 PM
Developer
Developer
My Device: 8130 / 8350 / 9530 / 9550 / 9850 / PlayBook
My Carrier: Verizon

I would agree and disagree with both of you. Why not tag both ways, so you and other people can search the tags for relevant information. You can make an exact tag for you to remember but also do simple tags for other users to be able to search.
Developer
My Device: Z10 (STL100-4)-10.3.2.858, Z10 (STL100-3)-10.3.1.2576, Z30 (STA100-5)-10.3.1.2582, Passport (SQW100-1)-10.3.1.2576, PlayBook (16GB)-2.1.0.1917
My Carrier: Verizon

I agree with what CMY said.

The search feature will treat each word as a keyword so having "tags like this" will help with searches, but if someone is looking for specific information or happens to read this thread, they might search for "tags_like_this."

---Spends time in #blackberrydev on freenode (IRC)----
Three simple rules:
1. Please use the search bar before making new posts.
2. "Like" posts that you find helpful.
3. If a solution has been found for your post, mark it as solved.
--I code too much. Well, too bad.
Developer
My Device: Torch 9810

@ bikas - There is a bookmark facility in this forum, using that you could bookmark a post in order to find that in future..

A line from the forum help says - A well chosen tag will also help other users find interesting content...

And tagging example says - A tag is a single keyword applied to a post that describes a topic, theme, or category of the post. Each post may have multiple tags. For example, a post about a mouse might have the tags, mouse USB optical wireless DPI. 

Help contents:

http://supportforums.blackberry.com/rim/help_faq#tagging_what

http://supportforums.blackberry.com/rim/help_faq#advanced

Cheers.. 

--
Manimaran Selvan
Co-Founder, Tech Lead,
Equity Markets Research Group
Developer
My Device: Z10 LE, Z30, Passport
My Carrier: O2 Germany

i agree with mantaker, tagging is used to ease other peoples lookup processes.

personally i just give kudos to posts that may be useful for me in the future, i can look them up in my profile Smiley Happy
----------------------------------------------------------
feel free to press the like button on the right side to thank the user that helped you.
please mark posts as solved if you found a solution.
@SimonHain on twitter
Developer
My Device: Not Specified

Well, if you search for event_injection, the search treats this as two words "event" and "injection" (even if you do advanced search with exact words).

Therefore, in terms of searching, there is no difference whether you tag something with event_injection or "event injection". People will find these posts in either case.

I am not saying it is necessary but IMHO tagging with underscores do not hurt. I also think it helps to see what the post is about by looking at the group of words where you have a reference on how to group them (underscores).

Highlighted
Developer
My Device: 9000 9810

I agree with Mantaker's point of view.

My understanding of tags fully correlates to Mantaker's definition.

We could learn something from Linux world: Each part of the whole takes care only of his part of the job.

One should use tags to identify keywords specific to the thread/post, and let the search engine do its work however it knows best.

By implementing underscores One is doing a favor to himself and (possibly) to the current implementation of the search engine.

If search engine is changed (optimized for the original definition of tags) underscores will be completely useless for anyone else but the tagger with a long and precise memory Smiley Happy

But in any case, if current search engines strip underscores the whole discussion turns into a philosophical debate of the tag's historical, current and possible future usage.

"Listen carefully, I shall say this only once"