Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

Java Development

Developer
My Device: Not Specified

A need for Signing Keys for using a File Connection API?

Hi all,

I'm pretty new at the Blackberry java development, but i'm very keen to learn a bit about the persistant store topic on saving data on the blackberry device.

After researching on the internet, I have understood that the PersistanceObject is secured by a RIM controlled API which requires signing keys that cost approx $100. I would like to resist using the persistantObject and so i also learnt that there are other APIs such as the File Connection API, which allows data to be stored on a micro SD card (in the form of bytes).

My question is to know whether you need to have a signing key for accessing a program that saves data using the File Connection API? or the RMS? - i've been browsing around and have had no luck to clarify this.

If anyone can let me know, i would be very much appreciated.

Many thanks.

Kind regards,

Highlighted
New Developer

Re: A need for Signing Keys for using a File Connection API?

Your signature keys only cost $20.

When you download the JDE kit, you'll have the signature tool, and it will tell you whether or not your application needs to be signed or not. Some API calls have optional signing requirements, and some API calls have required signing requirements.

Hope that helps.

Richard Schilling

Root Wireless, Inc.

Developer

Hi-

Many thanks for the response - yes you are right, signing keys cost around about 20 dollars.

However, just to confirm, if i write a program that uses a File Connection API to write to a SD card, do i still need to purchase the signing keys for this? I understand signing keys are required for RIM controlled APIs such as persistanceObject, but do i need them for File Connection API too?

Hope this clarifies my question.

Kind regards,

Developer
Developer

The FileConnection APIs do not require signatures.

Developer

Thanks gtj fo the clarification. :-)