Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

Java Development

Developer
My Device: Not Specified

Adding Tab Bar to Bottom of Storm as Button for navigation

Hello All,

I have seen application in Storm which is having navigation buttons at the bottom of screen rather than usual navigation. These buttons will be an image only.

Samle screen view is given in URL

http://appworld.blackberry.com/webstore/content/screenshots/760

Anybody have any idea how to implement this?

Is this possible to add these buttons to a screen with LIST items?

Thanks and Regards in advance

Highlighted
Developer
My Device: Z10 (STL100-4)-10.3.2.858, Z10 (STL100-3)-10.3.1.2576, Z30 (STA100-5)-10.3.1.2582, Passport (SQW100-1)-10.3.1.2576, PlayBook (16GB)-2.1.0.1917
My Carrier: Verizon

Re: Adding Tab Bar to Bottom of Storm as Button for navigation

As of right now you have to implement it yourself.

As a quick, not so elegant solution, you could create a HorizontalFieldManager in the status area of the screen (setStatus). Then add a bunch of Buttons to the manager.

---Spends time in #blackberrydev on freenode (IRC)----
Three simple rules:
1. Please use the search bar before making new posts.
2. "Like" posts that you find helpful.
3. If a solution has been found for your post, mark it as solved.
--I code too much. Well, too bad.
Developer

Hi and Welcome.

As you are relative new comer here, I suggest that you do this development in small stages.

a) Create a number of buttons using the standard button Field, and add these to a HorizontalFieldManager, to get the Buttons laid out horizontally.  Just have small text on these buttons.  Test this in your MainScreen to make sure it works.

b) Add the HorizontalFieldManager containing the button to your MainScreen using setStatus, so that its placed at the bottom of the DIsplay area (and stays there).

c) Create a Button Field using an image and get this working in a normal screen.  There are plenty of posts on this forum that talk about doing this.

d) Replace the buttons in your HorizontalFieldManager with the buttons you have created in step (c).

If you have a requirement to have multiple buttons in the HorizontalFieldManager - more that will fit in one Screen - then you will need to have a scrolling Manager.  This is typically not achieved using the standard Scroll features, instead you have a special button at the end that is used to move the buttons along.  But I suggest you don't think about this until you have the rest working. 

Developer

Hello Peter,

Thanks for the reply.

After searching in BB Forums, I got the idea for developing the same which was same as you have explained. Through the " setStatus(HorizontalFieldManager) " it was possible to add even in the screens which is having List items.

I have added two buttons to move screen UP and DOWN.

But the only problem in screens with list elements is that i am not able to move the screen UP using scroll( Manager.UPWARD ) or DOWN through scroll( Manager.DOWNWARD )

Thanks