Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

Java Development

New Developer
My Device: Bold 9800 or Storm 3 whichever hits Verizon first.
My Carrier: Verizon

Any self teaching guide on BB development?

I am looking for a self teaching guide on BB development.

Please post links to the book(s) that you recommend.

Note this is for beginners and not advanced developers of BB.

Thank you all for your support
black_berry
Developer
My Device: Not Specified

Re: Any self teaching guide on BB development?

RIM developer training videos here:

http://na.blackberry.com/eng/developers/javaappdev/learningresources/

Developer training lab exersizes here:

http://na.blackberry.com/eng/developers/resources/developer_labs.jsp#tab_tab_jde

As far as a "book" is concerned, I have found nothing worth the $59 price tag that these types of publications demand.

I'd write one myself if there were any money in it!  Smiley Happy

When I was brand-new to BlackBerry, I worked through these labs and found them very useful.

Developer
My Device: ***
My Carrier: ***

Developer
My Device: Not Specified

BB has turned out to be a good device to start with for mobile but if you don't know

java or basic mobile issues, look around sun.com for java tutorials and j2me documents.

It turns out that downloading the JDE's is pretty straightforward but you still need a JRE

to run them and it helps to have some background to know what to expect on a real device.

New Developer
My Device: Bold 9800 or Storm 3 whichever hits Verizon first.
My Carrier: Verizon

[ Edited ]

It is possible to implement an application that interacts with remote server.

Check this link: Useful links for newbie and experienced programmers

------------------------

Thank you all who have provided some information. I should have mentioned that I have a good foundation in JAVA as I have been working with it for the past 4 years. I feel comfortable enough with working with JAVA the only negative side of things is that for almos all of the 4 years it has been more in a supporting role of other peoples code. So, I am not all to familiar with the libraries that are provided and have some difficulty at times with trying to use some of the libraries because the API's are geared more to as a reference and not a how to use. Once you understand the library and how you can use it is when the APIs make the most sense. I bought a book called"Beginning JSME Platform From Novice to Professional", by Apress. However it is difficult to navigate between the J2ME and the BB API due to conflicts I run into that is why I wanted to find some solid points to start off such as those tutorials. Thanks again.

Message Edited by black_berry on 01-02-2009 08:50 AM
Thank you all for your support
black_berry
Highlighted
Developer
My Device: ***
My Carrier: ***

Blackberry RIM API code and J2ME code can be mixed except of UI classes.

In general if you are familiar with J2ME it won't take too much time to start with Blackberry programming.

There is J2ME Learning Trail

Download Netbeans with Mobility support, there are a lot of well-commented J2ME sample projects ready to be compiled and run.