Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

Java Development

New Developer
My Device: Not Specified

App developed with 4.5.0 doesn't run properly on v4.6 (9000) or v4.7 (9530).

I have an app that was developed with BlackBerry JDE 4.5.0.  It has 8 ButtonFields positioned horizontally with a HorizontalFieldManager.  They easily fit on the screen and appear/work as expected with all 4.5 simulators (ie. 83xx, 88xx) but not with the 4.6 simulator (9000) or the 4.7 simulator (9530).  The right two buttons are off the screen and not accessable.  This is the case even if I set the font to smallest (7pt).  On the 9000 and 9530 the button default size appears to be larger than those on the 83xx,  

Is there some setting that needs to be implemented to make this 4.5 developed app look and work the same way on 4.6 and 4.7 simulators and phones?  Or is this a compatibility problem? 

Developer
My Device: Z10 LE, Z30, Passport
My Carrier: O2 Germany

Re: App developed with 4.5.0 doesn't run properly on v4.6 (9000) or v4.7 (9530).

as a guess:
the screen sizes are different. you have to develop a flexible layout and/or change sizes of components, depending on the resolution.
the Display class gives you the needed values.

as for 4.7 and the storm: i suggest to build a version with the 4.7 jde/components as your app stays in compatibility mode otherwise. it is also the only way to react on the layout changes on the storm.
----------------------------------------------------------
feel free to press the like button on the right side to thank the user that helped you.
please mark posts as solved if you found a solution.
@SimonHain on twitter
New Developer

Re: App developed with 4.5.0 doesn't run properly on v4.6 (9000) or v4.7 (9530).

You're right in that I can develop a more flexible layout (ie. horizontal_scroll) to ensure access to all buttons. 

BUT, I found another problem in that keyChar() is NOT being called when the user enters a character in an EditField.  This only occurs on my app developed in 4.5 running on a 4.7 (Storm).  In other words, I have an EditField and I'm using keyChar() to detect the entered character so as to take appropriate action.  When running on the 9530 (Storm V4.7) simulator keyChar() is not getting called as the user clicks the keys.  Is there a work around for this?

I'd prefer not to build a version with the 4.7 JDE due to the multiple version and multiple submissions that would be required. 

Thanks.

Developer

Hi,

I am facing same problem with keyChar() of EditField. I observed, Only after pressing backSpace, keyChar() event is generating. If any one found solution, please help me.

Thanks in advance.

New Contributor

App doesn't run properly on v4.7 (9530-verizon simulator).

I developed an application in BB,which is working in most simulator but in 9530(4.7.0.148) version simulator the UI is not displaying in full screen even when hide the vurtual keyboard.I calculate the resolution,it returs 320*240 but its actual resolution is 360*480,can anyone can solve this problem.

Advance thanks

Smiley Happy

Developer
My Device: Z10 LE, Z30, Passport
My Carrier: O2 Germany

Re: App doesn't run properly on v4.7 (9530-verizon simulator).

please create an own thread
----------------------------------------------------------
feel free to press the like button on the right side to thank the user that helped you.
please mark posts as solved if you found a solution.
@SimonHain on twitter