Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

Java Development

Highlighted
New Contributor
My Device: Playbook
My Carrier: Orange

App development in Playbook

[ Edited ]

Hi All,

I am new to Blackberry Application Development. We are planning to develop an app in Playbook and I am stuck in choosing which route is the best for me. Java or Adobe Air.

Here is what I observed so far:

1. I am a Java developer. So naturally I thought of developing the app in Java. But going through the forums I understand Playbook doesn't support Java apps. However using Java player we can run the Java apps. But I don't find proper guidance on how to download and install Java player, how to call the java apps through it etc.

2. So thinking of the above I decided to go in the Adobe Air route. The app has just a 2 basic screens. So developing in C++ wont take much time. This app also requires BlackBerry Messaging functionality too. Once the details are submitted in Playbook app, we need the details to be BBM-ed to the Blackberry phones. I see the BBM SDK only in Java. So now I am confused which one to use??

3. We also need to talk to 3 different databases.

Thinking all these in mind, kindly could you give me some idea? I have been going through ample resources; but the more I look the more I am confused. Some pointers on this topic would be so helpful.

Thanks in advance,

D. Selvameena

Additional details:

We haven't purchased the playbook or the smart phones yet. Till then I have to work with the playbook and smartphone simulators.

I have downloaded Blackberry JDE 7.1. In case you want to suggest ADobe Air, I use Native SDK IDE 2.0