Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

Java Development

Developer
My Device: Not Specified

Re: Application developed by us only works on WIFI and FREEZES On Data network

'people like you are a "Rare Commodity".'

Thanks, may I quote this to my wife.....  Smiley Happy

Is your app only going to be used on Bell.   If so, perhaps there is something we can do in the short term. 

Contributor
My Device: Bold 9700
My Carrier: Bell.ca

Hi Peter,

We found the Problem.....

And we are Alliance Partner, not sure when the code signing key was requested but it only works on OS5, also the

simulator that was use to develop the app was also for OS5! and we were testing on Torch running OS6!

Now we need to contact the Alliance Partner Program and ask them about Keys supporting both OS5 and OS6 and not sure if we  need to recompile our app for OS6.......will try to have one version supporting all the OS.

The App works awesome but only works on OS5...... It is available on App world called ZBasis check it out

And Thanks again for all your help,

Z

Developer

Sorry to tell you that BlackBerry signing is not OS Specific.  So for me, this does not explain your problem. 

If you have compiled using OS 5.0, it will work correctly in OS 6.0.

Why are you sure this is your solution?

Contributor

You may be right about the keys are they don't ask you about the OS, most likely it will be the simulator / compiler that was used, if older, then it will not have the newer stuff, libraries or modules..... thats the only thing I can think of....

Already have a meeting with the developpers tonight as they are in India... Let see

Z

Developer

"it will not have the newer stuff, libraries or modules"

Again I don't think so, I have OS 4.2 code working fine in OS 6.0. 

Hope the meeting goes well.

Contributor

Hi Peter or to anybody else willing to help,

It is confirmend that app developped on OS5 SDK will have issues on OS6 and our app has deep hooks going in to

the OS. We also found ou that the code signing keys can only be used Once! so we requested and got new Keys,downloaded the SDK 6.0, and had minor issues in converting / changing the code to run on SDK 6.0.

Now the probem is that our code / app runs fine on SDK6.0 simulator but fails to even install on a device running on OS6, like torch, the desktop manager displays an error message "No Additional Application can be found...."

Any idea on why the app works fine on the simulator but fails to even install on the device? looks like we are missing something or left out something very small......

thanks

Z

Highlighted
Developer

There is, I'm sorry to say, a lot I am skeptical about in your post.  If the information you are receiving is not from RIM, then I would treat it with caution.  In fact, I would probably recommend a second opinion.  Anyway, let me dissect your post.

1) "It is confirmed that app developed on OS5 SDK will have issues on OS6"

By whom is it confirmed?

I have yet to see a serious issue with an OS 5.0 compiled app running on OS 6.0.  I've seen issues with code that worked in OS 5.0 that doesn't work in OS 6.0, but this has been because of the way it is programmed, and programmed correctly, it will work in both levels of OS.  For an example, see here:

http://supportforums.blackberry.com/t5/Java-Development/quot-Unauthorized-attempt-to-attach-to-this-...

2) "our app has deep hooks going in to the OS"

Because of the API driven nature of and the Java code, it is actually difficult to get deep hooks.  Can you explain what sort of deep hooks these are?

However, there are many hooks (listeners) where badly written code, or code written by someone who does not understand the implications of what they are doing, can cause problems. 

3) "We also found out that the code signing keys can only be used Once! "

Who told you this?  I have never seen this written anywhere.  The limit on the number of times a key can be used is a very large number. 

4) "had minor issues in converting / changing the code to run on SDK 6.0."

It seems you have been advised to go to OS 6.0, which of course means your applicant will not run on OS 5.0 devices.  There are a significant number of OS 5.0 devices out there, in fact in the UK, I think the majority of the devices run OS 5.0 even now.  If you only had to make minor changes, then I suspect that it would be relatively easy to make the code compile in OS 5.0.  And if you do that, then you have expanded your market significantly. 

OK that is the bits I disagree with.  There may be some truth in what you are saying, the explanations as a whole don't hold water for me.  If this has not come from RIM, then I would seek a second opinion. 

Now on to your issues with installing your application.

Unfortunately, in my experience. Desktop Manager (DTM) can be somewhat flaky when it comes to installing software.  For example, if you have already installed a piece of software on the device, then you try to install another piece of software that shares a cod, it will barf.  If you delete the alx associated with product you have already installed it will get confused.  If you tell it the cods are in one directory and they are not, it will tell you 'No applications found', not "I couldn't find the cods you pointed me at".  You have to get the alx correct and make sure you play really nicely with DTM to use this method of installation reliably.

In this case, either the alx is wrong and does not match the cods you have, or DTM is confused.  The easiest way to determine which it is, is to give the alx and cods to someone who has a working DTM and knows how to set up alx's.  If you want to PM me with details I would be happy to try this for you.  If this works, then the DTM is confused, and you need to go through some processes to try to clean it up.